Alenium Engines research and upgrade for interceptors.

After having an unsuccessful hour's worth of chasing stupidly nippy fighters and heavy fighters with my interceptors, I wondered about the possibility of adding a research for Alenium Engines, in order to keep the standard interceptors competitive until we can start building craft based on Alien design. Something that adds a 15 - 20% buff to their cruising speed would do the trick, I think.

Alternatively, I guess increasing the range on the alenium missiles could fill the same role?

Either way, I just feel like they need something, as they can't (in my experience) be directly replaced with Migs, when you have fighter squadrons cropping up all over the place.

To be honest the first alien tech interceptor would be cropping up by the end of the demo but I can't be bothered to set up the combat graphics for it yet so I've left it disabled for now. It's essentially a direct replacement for the F-17 :)

I'd rather not have upgrades for the interceptors themselves though. I worry it might overcomplicate things.

To be honest the first alien tech interceptor would be cropping up by the end of the demo but I can't be bothered to set up the combat graphics for it yet so I've left it disabled for now. It's essentially a direct replacement for the F-17 :)

I'd rather not have upgrades for the interceptors themselves though. I worry it might overcomplicate things.

But then how could we replace the fighters in your base when there is no ability to do so?

You will eventually be able to build new fighters, once they are implemented.

Hinting at the new fighter in the demo would be nice though.

Maybe have a research topic that you can do towards the top end of the demo ticker?

Lets people see that there will be something but doesn't give away what it will be.

Fair enough Chris. I know there's plenty of balancing to be done, so I'm sure it will all fit together nicely in the final game.

And Gauddlike, I meant in the combat screen more than anything, as I was having endless cases of intercepting a heavy fighter only to start too far away to catch it. Seeing as they always retreat in the current build it wasn't much fun. I actually didn't realise they were bugged (I'm sure I've seen this mentioned somewhere) so maybe once they fight back this won't be an issue.