[V9.2 - Ground Combat] CTD when attempting to equip looted plasma rifle

Sounds like an instance where the game tries to fetch the animation from the wrong folder or wrong animation. What armor was the soldier wearing?

There should be a workaround to this kind of problem in the workaround sticky thread here in the bugg report forum. If you follow the instructions for that bug (not to the letter, but applied to your plasma rifle bug instead) you should be able to fix it. (and save matthew time testing it out if you confirm what exactly is the problem)

Jackal Combat armor. I had earlier CTD when even attempting to open inventory over an alien corpse. I implemented the workaround for this and I was able to access the alien equipment.

Are we even able to use plasma weapons yet? Or is that something that hasn't been implemented?

My game crashed when I moved an unarmed soldier (he had been wounded and after hospital re-assigned to the Chinook, where I forgot to equip him again) on top of a Sebilian corpse. I clicked on the inventory button (in the hope that I'd be able to pick up the alien's plasma pistol), the game crashed to desktop. Might be related to the OP bug.