land combat maps

windex

I'm just wondering how are the land combat maps rendered. Are they made as randomly generated towns and set pieces or are there certain maps used always for certain regions? Seems from my limited experience with the game that the

latter is true. I played twice and came up with the exact same map when the crash site was in the USA. Even the enemy seemed to be in the same place.

I know the game is still no where near finished and you have certain limitations with what you are working with but

I'd love to know if this game engine will use a random map generator. Also does the combat run with its own tactical AI or are they scripted triggers where the computer enemy is always in a certain location to start with on a given map and reacts to basic triggers say when attacked in expectation of how the human opponent will operate and has a set of scripts on how to counter or defend.

battlefront uses these on their CM2 engine.

Also, is their a way I can save my game? Did I miss something? I know its still in beta.

Edited by windex

No saving yet, that's for the next build (V8). Ground combat saving will be added in later iterations of that build.

Combat maps are generated with a basic framework of modules (office building here, warehouse here, etc). Then for each map the game randomly selects any applicable object for that module (so one of the 3-4 different office buildings). Each tileset will have several framework maps, and each module will have several variations (with modules separated by tileset, so no office buildings in a farm or whatever).

Its not completely random, since that resulted in either boring or excessively cluttered maps.

No idea about the AI, but its getting upgraded around about now.

The current build (v7.5) only has one map, its a test map. You can make your own and get the game to load that instead (not sure where the thread about it is). V8 should have either extra maps, or map variation later on.