Confused about a few things in the game...would appriciate some veterans help

phantra

just started the game yesterday after quite a campaign of long war mod for xcom, xenonauts seems to handle things..diffrently :P I have some questions that popped up.

- first I didnt quite understand the post mission loot setup...it seems that after 2 ufo light scout assaults, according to my stores clerk at the base, I acquired...5 allien alloys and a farmer's shotgun that one of my guys picked up..?! my question is where did everything else go?! o_O is it supposed to be like this?

- on the same subject are there items worth to look for that one will need to manualy loot off corpses ?

- also is there a way to throw flashbangs/grenades over cover or into a window? im having trouble with using those when there is no direct line of sight between the xenonaut and the xenos.

- when is it best to build a new base, is it safe to do so ?

- final question i have is squad composition/loadouts, im currently rolling 8 infantry and very gear heavy ( basicly the maximum they can carry without weight penalty (well..without weight penalty as far as i can see in the "TUs after weight penalty" bar in the loadout, is it the correct approach or do they get extra mobility/TUs if i just send em in with like a rifle and a clip?

would realy appriciate the help =] !

From what I remember, and it's been a while, nothing is there you need to manually loot for, but things required for research go to research not, stores, extra alien rifles and stuff is auto sold off, because you really can't use it effectively, and the best time to build a first base, to me, is day one, third base some time in the later months.

Also you want to over burden your soldiers lightly so they gain more strength/ tus, not sure on exact limits, but that's been debated in other threads elsewhere someone can provide the links.

1) Alien gear recovered from alien corpses and most alien equipment recovered from bases/ufos is auto-sold after a battle. If you look to the bottom left when you complete a mission, you can see all the items you gain and which items are auto-sold/destroyed after the battle finishes.

2) See 1)

3) Yes. There are some problems with the game if you stand next to terrain which 100% blocks a normal shot. to guarantee you will throw it over such terrain, you need to stand at least one tile away.

4) When it economically makes sense and as soon as possible.. Some people build a base straight away, some wait until the first month's payday. You have the funds to start building a second base straight away, although you do not have the funds to build a full base - only an interceptor base. By the time the first payday comes around, you will have the funds to build a second interceptor base regardless. Bear in mind the critical buildings of an interceptor base (command center, hangars) take time to build - you have to wait for the command center to be built first then wait for the hangars to be built which takes in total 20 days or so.

5) You don't get a bonus to have them carry under their weight. As Jasmine points out, you are best off loading up your solider just slightly beyond their maximum carry capacity so you can benefit from the str bonus every mission you send them out on.

Edited by Max_Caine

On the whole overloading your troops thing, I have two things to add:

1) The weight required to gain strength is the exact maximum of their weight allowance BEFORE suffering TU penalties. This is true up until a Strength score of ~76 (I cannot remember the exact number), and thereafter you have to overburden your troops (have them suffer a slight TU penalty) in order to gain Strength.

2) The way it is handled (AFAIK) is that you have to move a certain amount of tiles at the appropriate weight limit before you gain 1 Strength for the mission. I'm pretty sure if you just left a soldier (overburdened by gear, hence losing TU) in the transport and not move him in a ground mission, he would not gain any Strength, just like he won't gain any TU's.

There is therefore a caveat on the subject of only loading up your soldiers to the exact maximum (before TU penalties), as if they lose some weight quickly in a mission (throwing a few grenades or passing gear around) they won't be eligible for a Strength boost, as they didn't travel/spend the necessary resources at the weight limit (especially noticeable for Rocket troops firing Rockets liberally).

got my handle on the game's mechanics~ realy like the TU system to my surprise =P also I ussualy find myself reaching the weight penalty without picking items that i wouldn't normaly stuff in my soldiers backpacks but that's partly because of my assault rifle mania. assault trooper? here have this rifle for when you're not shotguning! rocketier? put that RPG on your back and grab a rifle! shield carrier? hmm well you're gonna need a rifle for when your shield breaks....etc etc ^^ only one that don't get one is the machinegunner ...mainly because I didn't find a logical reason for why he should have one o_O;

I do a similar thing with sniper rifles. I have 3 Scouts, all of them with shotguns in their hands and sniper rifles in their packs.

I used to do that with C4! :) Any time I thought an enemy might be near, somebody pulled some C4 out of their packs and blew up the nearest building. I don't know how many civilians I've found cowering in toilets from the crazy men who blew up the bathroom sink right in front of their faces. Best not to open doors in a live combat zone!

Them grenades men! One of every flavor to each man, and extras to those who have room for more :D

I have a class called "Special Forces", who hump massive amounts of grenades as well as other useful gear. They started when I had a pathetically terrible soldier named "Eli Watson" with amazing strength stats and nothing useful. He was given 20 kilos of grenades and ammo and ordered to keep in the back.

When the mission went to hell under my unexperienced hands and Eli Watson was one of the last alive, he dropped half a dozen grenades and knocked 3-4 C-Sections out in one mission. Special Forces is now a fully respectable class within the Xeno-Beano team, saturating every building and every UFO with gas, smoke, and electrostun pulses.

The only thing I was wish was that there were incendiary grenades.