Can someone help me fix my mod merge? Xenopedia won't close.

Alright, I'm using the CE 0.25, and have slapped onto it Jsleezy's real fighter portrait packs, Jsleezy's armor compilations, Khall's carbines and shotguns mod, and Lore+.

The problem is that Khaal's Carbines and Lore+ both modify strings.xml, at least, I think that's the problematic file. They also modify xenopaedia.xml and researches.xml.

I've tried to merge these files as best as I could, with the original files, but the original strings.xml was so huge that notepad++ choked every time I tried to run a text diff on it, so I just to just give up and try copy-pasting the non-formatting stuff from Lore+'s tiny strings.xml into the complete strings.xml included with Khall's Carbines.

Anyway, the problem comes up after heavy laser research is complete. The research triggers off normally, but I can't close out of the xenopedia article on heavy lasers for the troops and aircraft by clicking the close button, as one normally does. If I press escape, it closes, bringing up the xenopedia article on base-defense laser turrets. That, too, will not close. If I press escape a third time, it takes me to the "research is empty, no new research was added, would you like to go to the labs or close this window" pop-up.

That one will not close no matter what I do - I can click on either of those buttons, or I can jam the escape button, it matters not.

I don't want to give up on Lore+, because I love it, but if it comes down to a mod which actually changes the game and one which merely improves the atmosphere, I'll have to pull Lore+ out. Before it comes to that, though, can anyone point me in the direction of what might be causing this, that I can fix manually?

Well, I can try...

I've tweaked gameconfig to hell and back, though, tweaking all kinds of numbers. Anyway...[ATTACH]5194[/ATTACH] This is the save file, I've got thirty scientists working on heavy lasers, they'll be done shortly.

Here's a copy of my gameconfig, here's my Xenopedia, here's my Researches, and strings is making Pastebin choke.

Its Gonna Stop Working.sav

Its Gonna Stop Working.sav

I'm currently preparing a 0.25HF2 version of Xenonauts (which means just copying all the assets over into another directory), so I'll be able to re-create your problem. However, I suspect you probably already have a problem that if you remove Lore+, the game will crash as it'll be looking for the research topics you've already unlocked in Lore+.

Max: Yep, I already tried that.

I've wiped my save-games folder and I'm trying to manually merge again, this time merging Khall's Carbines with Lore+ instead of the inverse. There is something very FUBAR with Khall's Carbine's Strings.xml file. To the tune of a single row's two cells being copied over 9,000 times between them, and the next row being the same way. I suspect this to have been a glitch in whatever spreadsheet file he used to make it, I'm going to try fixing it manually.

It seems that an awful lot of Strings.xml entries went missing in Khall's Carbines's strings.xml, in addition to the ridiculousness of three entries being copied like, tens and tens of thousands of times.

But, after I beat those back into shape, and stripped cell metadata from the Community Edition's Strings.xml, I've got enough commonality for a text diff to actually be meaningful. And by that I mean it's like, 80% commonality.

It's taking me a looong time, but I think I'm closing in on fixing this bad boy.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems that an awful lot of Strings.xml entries went missing in Khall's Carbines's strings.xml, in addition to the ridiculousness of three entries being copied like, tens and tens of thousands of times.

But, after I beat those back into shape, and stripped cell metadata from the Community Edition's Strings.xml, I've got enough commonality for a text diff to actually be meaningful. And by that I mean it's like, 80% commonality.

It's taking me a looong time, but I think I'm closing in on fixing this bad boy.

How's it coming along? And if you can / allowed, can you upload the merge? I'd be very interrested! :)