[XCE 0.26] "Charlie-10" Dropship bug

Larchus

I just got done with a mission raiding a corvette. It was a disaster, with one man returning to the dropship. Kind of had to accept my losses because I managed to stun a Reaper, which, lord knows, isn't easy. So I hilariously stuffed one of the most dangerous aliens in the game in my soldier's backpack and got him on the dropship out of there.

Back at the Geoscape, I run into this bug. It's not the first time I have seen this bug -- But it only ever happened with Community edition. I would go to manage my troop loadouts, and dropship assignments, only to find out my soldiers (or in my latest case, soldier) are assigned to a non-existent "Charlie-10" dropship. Unassigning them from this phantom dropship causes the game to freeze.

There are also other mods I am currently running, which are the following:

Real fighter portraits/armor

Kabil's Enhanced Crash Sites

Skitso and Kabil's respective map packs

Skitso's Oppressive UI, and Sleek Alien Turns

Sorry for double-posting, but I took some screenshots of the game to further elaborate what I am dealing with.

223830_screenshots_2014-08-06_00001.jpg

223830_screenshots_2014-08-06_00002.jpg

I didn't even realize that the dropship I sent out comes back, inexplicably full of soldiers. Again, if I try to unassign soldiers from that dropship, the game crashes. This is really bizarre. This also conveniently occurred just after an auto-save (post-battle), so I could upload the save file if anyone would like to have a look-see.

UPDATE: Well, I tried reloading a previous auto-save (one that took place before the combat had loaded. Re-did the mission. Mission was a success, did not have to abort. Took a casualty, but they are merely wounded, not dead.

It didn't change anything. Dropship gets back to base, still have troops somehow assigned to a dropship that doesn't exist and attempting to fix that freezes the game. I'm probably going to have to start over.

I.... I think I'm going to give Xenonauts a break, or maybe just stick to vanilla + strictly cosmetic mods. Remove any other game changing mods and wait for more stable modding solutions. It's a shame, because X:CE is a nice community patch, and I like the little things it adds! But I know for sure I never encountered this in vanilla.

223830_screenshots_2014-08-06_00001.jpg

223830_screenshots_2014-08-06_00002.jpg

223830_screenshots_2014-08-06_00001.thum

223830_screenshots_2014-08-06_00002.thum

Edited by Larchus

I experience the same problem even without other mods installed.

However; I also found that moving people to different starting positions on the dropship caused the game to crash.

(Ex: Moving Soldier-1 to Soldier-2's position)

I would recommend using the 0.25 version of XCE as these problem does not occur with that version (your listed mods should still work in that version).

FINALLY, a reply! And thanks for the tip, I will try that.

I just hope 0.25 still lets me vault over broken windows... It seems like such a small thing, but after playing the game with that, I can't stomach the idea of playing it without that feature.

Well, the only thing I did wrong was not providing a save. And I have a save files available that will allow the bug to be directly observed, so I shall upload them now. And I have no idea what condition caused this bug to occur, therefor I have no idea how to reproduce it. All I can confirm is that it is, in fact, there. I know that's not that helpful, but what do you expect? I'm just a user.

[ATTACH]5223[/ATTACH]

This should be the autosave that leads directly to the problem. Just get to the Geoscape, hit fast forward until Antares reaches base Athena, and check the Soldier Loadout screen.

Aut.sav

Aut.sav

Did you rename your dropship with people still assigned to it? This is what caused "Charlie-10" to get made for me and ruin my game. Until this is fixed, you need to unassign all of your troops from Charlie-1 in order to safely rename your dropship. If you don't have a save from before you renamed your dropship, you're probably boned

Edited by GerbilSchooler

Yes, I named my dropship Antares after a few combat events.

That kind of sucks, because I am the kind of person who renames every little thing. Except soldiers, they have to survive long enough to get a custom name. Makes losing them easier on me.

Well, the good news is that it seems like we found out what triggers the bug! I tried to reproduce it again and yes, it seems that re-naming a drop ship with Soldiers inside causes the bug!

Edited by Larchus