Smoke, why so random?

its 10% per square of smoke the shot has to pass so 1 square is useless, but 7 or 8 makes you nearly untouchable for single shots; grenades can still ruin your day. highest accuracy andron is 65 modified by the weapon being used, you likely either did not have much smoke in the way or just got unlucky. minimum accuracy for shots to be taken at is like 35; if it had been any lower he would have moved, so i think chances are you just did not get much smoke or it took a battle rifle aimed shot and you had no natural cover.( all wild speculation but no, its not that random.

You see, sometimes I use smoke grenade and they totally forget about existence of my guys, like they never been there!

That's because of the minimum firing accuracy AI flag.

All aliens are set not to fire if their chance of hitting is below a certain level. Their typical response is just to wander around and not do anything. Personally, I think this is something of a serious issue and needs sorting. Ideally, they'd do something sensible, but without changing the AI scripts this is more or less impossible to alter.

The thresholds can be changed though and some people have reported good outcomes with this. Since it's easy enough to change I might (if I get a chance) put out a mod for it as it would only take half an hour or so.