Accessing the rooftops

Hey guys!

Since my first encounter with Herridans in the city environment this one small thought bothers me: why can't I get to the rooftop??! I mean, almost every irl building have its own (inner and outer) ways one can use to get to the roof but there's absolutely no way to do so in Xenonauts (except for having a jetpack). So far I've seen only one building with the stairs leading to the roof and that's annoying. Especially if there's a Herridan with a plasma sniper rifle up there behind the cover and all my soldiers are sitting ducks with 42% hit rate at best.

Can this be fixed/modded?

This bothers me a little too.

In the Firaxis XCOM, I always enjoyed spending the beginning part of each mission getting my sniper into a good firing position. I was hoping for something similar in Xenonauts, but unfortunately there's very few good elevated positions to fire from in the game before you get the jetpack (I guess this is a great incentive to research it ASAP).

What you can do in the meantime is maybe instal Skitso's Map Pack. I'm planning on installing it along with some other mods when I go home and download v1.07 of the game tonight. From the screenshots I've seen, his map pack has quite a number of elevated locations accessible by stairs. Whether that will help you fire on camping Harridians is another matter.

Yeah, Firaxis did a great job with all these pipes and ladders and other staff that help you to get an elevated position.

I guess it'd be a simple mod. Just add a specific position next to each 2-3 floor building from which a character can get upstairs, some sprite (ladder/pipe), calculate TU cost and job's done!

Anyway, I'm going for Skitso's map pack too. I just wonder if 1.07 is stable enough.

That is easy to fix if you can be bothered to go through the spectres for each window and make them vaultable.

You could fix the initial problem as well if you just ran each submap through the editor and added a simple set of stairs where you wanted it.

Would take a little while but it would kill time on a rainy afternoon.

I don't know how the game works with regard to submap levels but if the submap was built to the maximum possible height then it doesn't leave anywhere for the soldiers to go to get above the roof level.

It would need to be tested to see if the UI worked with taller submaps I guess.

You could try loading up the problem submaps and adding a couple of levels above the roof to allow buzzards to fly up.

It could be that the submap doesn't have enough levels added or that the game doesn't support enough levels to make it possible.

That is easy to fix if you can be bothered to go through the spectres for each window and make them vaultable.

You could fix the initial problem as well if you just ran each submap through the editor and added a simple set of stairs where you wanted it.

Would take a little while but it would kill time on a rainy afternoon.

Can you show me ONE example of the data fields to edit and then I can proceed with the rest perhaps.

I would start by finding a submap that definitely has this problem and then try that one first otherwise you may spend your time adjusting submaps only to find that it doesn't fix the problem because the engine has a hard cap on how many levels it shows and the submaps have just been built too close to that cap.

Easiest way to edit it might be to load up the submap editor, open the submap and just click on add level.

Then just save it and it is done.

It should be possible to do it manually I think.

Open the submap spectre xml file and add a new <level> section with the right number of <row> entries but it would be a lot more complicated.