[V1.07] Skitso's Femonauts

Skitso

I registered on this site to report a bug, but I can't resist this topic.

First off, I'm glad this mod was made (even if I don't necessarily intend to use it myself). I mean no disrespect to the developers (I like the game, have played it 109 hours so far), but I always thought it was rather lazy how male/female bodies looked almost exactly alike; in terms of shoulder width, boot size, leg and arm thickness, etc. It very obviously looks as though the bodies are identical, but with an inch taken in at the waist, a tiny bulge at the chest, and a slightly thinner neck and smaller hands for women. I also would have liked male/female differentiation in the battles as well, but it's obviously too late to make requests of that magnitude. Anyway, I welcome any mod that enhances the somewhat dull static portraits. I also would like randomized height differences (tall, average, short), and body types (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph) for both sexes, but again, too late for me to make a wish list.

As a brief aside, referring to some of the comments about this mod: I'm exceedingly tired of the recent phenomenon where straight men are made to feel guilty about being straight men. That's all I'll say on the matter.

As soon as we stop seeing them as women and start seeing them as soldiers (done, for me), women of the military will be liberated.

I don't want to start an argument or derail the thread further, but I find this attitude both illogical and annoying. Men and women are different, because of hormones that regulate muscle growth. A 5'5 woman who weighs 140 pounds will not: carry as much gear; carry it as quickly for as long; carry a 180 pound man; carry him as quickly; or manage the recoil of a full-auto machine gun laying down accurate suppressive fire, as well as a 5'10 180 lb man. A 5'5 140 lb man is still stronger than a 5'5 140 lb woman, again, because of muscle mass. I'm not talking about "fighting spirit" or any subjective criteria; I'm speaking strictly of physical grunt work potential. All the politically correct wishful thinking won't change basic human anatomy. Any leader who would stop thinking of soldiers as men or women would do so at everyone's peril. If women can't perform a task better than a man, and perform some tasks patently worse, what's the point in choosing them over a man?

Rather than totally ignoring the scientific, irrefutable, common-sense differences between men and women, I'd go so far as to say I'd like a mod (hint, hint) that codified those differences in Xenonauts. Women, being on average shorter and more slender, should be 5-10% more difficult to hit than men (negated at point-blank ranges and by AoE). Women should be able to fit in places men can't: through small windows, vents (not that there are any; but if there were), small holes in walls made by explosives, etc. The drawbacks should be that they can't carry as much gear before reaching the TU penalty, and can't accurately use heavy weapons without power armor.

For the record, my Xenonaut team is composed of usually around 60% women; in an effort to maintain realism (or sexism, same thing), I make them pistol-armed medics, snipers, and riflemen. Riflewomen. Riflepeople.

But it's fun to fight with strangers over the internet about polarizing societal issues that will never be resolved via off-topic arguments on game forums!

Really though, leave the mod up. Fight the power. Whatever that means. I'll shut up and never mention this again, promise.

Really though, leave the mod up.

Definitely leave the mod up.

The whole point of mods is that they are optional additions and you can add them to tweak your individual game experience to your own taste. Some people complain about there being no 'woman' body in the game. Then you add that and someone else complains that it's creepy or sexist or playing up to misogynistic concept of body shapes. People complain about EVERYTHING.

No-one's forcing anyone to use the mod. If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't. If you think the game should include a different imagine of women more to your liking, go mod it in. None of those things need you to yell at each other.

Came here out of nowhere to note that I never said that this mod should be taken down. In fact, don't think anybody said it should be removed :P More power to you if you like it.

If on the other hand mod was "Remove all dark skinned people so that everyone is white", THEN I'd call for mod to be removed. But does this mod do that? No? Then no problem! Have fun with it and don't mind the fact some people will disagree with your opinion about this particular mod.

No I go again away and wait till steamworkshop integration is included so I can start trying out cool mods!