Mod request: new ballistic shields

Kentaro

I have no idea how or where to start, but maybe some of you more xml-savy people can give a pointer or three?

I am looking for a ballistic shield with alien materials.

The "earth"-shield has 80 hitpoints and is made of steel and kevlar and whatnot...Seeing that we can eventually mold the alien materials into armor, why not also create updated ballistic shields?

I am thinking maybe double the hitpoints to be useful (160) and/or add some damage resistance?

Thoughts?

they also seem to add or take, in the case of mangum-nauts, a lot of things.

I was thinking a lesser scale mod, adding SMGs or Heavy Pistols into the mix to give a bit more teeth to the shieldcarriers (and in the case of SMGs some clsoe combat potential when you just want to send a lot of lead downrange). not the degree of change both of those mods seem to make.

For what it's worth, it would be pretty easy to do yourself if you were interested in getting into modding.

Not sure, the Heavy pistol I can see using standard sprite for pistols, but the SMG? that would need new animations and while I can code, I never really mastered the drawing on the PC thing :/

OTOH I guess if the art was done for other mods, it can probably be borrowed for this one.

Still I think I will finish my vanilla play-though before considering modding options, though the +lore one is very tempting.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd be surprised if the other weapons mods have new sprites for the weapons as it's a lot of work to add new unit sprites into the game.

Re: Lore+ I'd definitely use it now. Since it just expands the game's lore, it's kind of just an enhancement of vanilla and there's not really any reason not to use it (except if you didn't care about lore stuff, of course).

I've played with Magnumnauts and the new version of XNT, and both so far only use vanilla sprite sheets. I'm not sure if the sprites are hand-drawn or 3d extracted, but if its the later, maybe chris would release the models, and the community could likely whip up a tool for them, assuming Chris doesn't release a tool as well. Would be a huge boon to the modding community.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd be surprised if the other weapons mods have new sprites for the weapons as it's a lot of work to add new unit sprites into the game.

Re: Lore+ I'd definitely use it now. Since it just expands the game's lore, it's kind of just an enhancement of vanilla and there's not really any reason not to use it (except if you didn't care about lore stuff, of course).

regarding the first, havig the complete art for a model it wouldn't be impossible, if you had the skill, to mod a pistol into, say, a UZI or another machine pistol or maybe something that looks like an MP-5k or something, it would be a lot of work, yeah, but not unsurmountable, depends really in how many animations the engine uses for movement/aiming and firing.

As for lore+ I want to use it, but I think last patch broke it somehow, due to the last comments in the thread, not sure if I should take the leap...

FYI Lore+ has been updated for 1.06. It has been tested and works. It will not break your game as it does not affect any game systems. It piggybacks the existing game and simply provides moar loar. The worst thing that can happen with Lore+ is you get a blank Xenopedia art screen when a new lore topic appears.