[ MOD WIP] JATOM - Just Another Total Overhaul Mod

Kel

Just Another Total Overhaul Modv0.17

Current Version: 0.17

Compatible with Xenonauts version v.1.06

Download JATOM

Download reskinned aliens only

What is JATOM and what is it about?

JATOM changes almost any aspect of the game (except air combat) in order to create a hard but fair tactical and strategical challenge.

Feature list:

• Rebalanced alien stats. Medium and high tier aliens are no pushovers anymore.
  • Adjusted # of aliens per mission/UFO, especially for late game.
  • Research rate / Alien invasion ticker rate and influence rate approximately halved. This leads to an increased amount of tactical missions per tech level. Research decisions matter.
  • Economy rebalanced. Production can yield income. The Bulk of the costs is the pay for soldiers/engineers and researchers (50% increase). On the other hand, Radar and "Airfields" are relatively easy to maintain.
  • Vehicle rebalance. Scout cars can scout, while tanks are blind.
  • Weapon overhaul. (Upgradeable ballistic weapons carry the bulk of fighting, laser/plasma/rail guns offer new tactical options, explosion ranges)
  • Additional researches for ballistic weapon upgrades. Starting off at 1980s tech going through 90's to current modern firearms.
  • Exoskeleton specific weapons.
  • Smoke significiantly reduces accuracy.
  • Fix for 1h/shield spectres ( 1h weapon can be used in secondary slot)
  • Carry capacity for chinook -> 10
  • Sight range for soldiers increased (20), being shot upon by invisible aliens is just frustrating :(
  • Destructuable inner UFO walls
  • Improved color coding for hard to distinguish aliens ( wraith / andron / harridan)
  • and more... :)

Here some artwork spoilers :eek:

SMGs

AKS-74U

smg1.jpg

FN P90

smg2.jpg

KRISS Vector

smg3.jpg

Assault Rifles

M16A1

assault1.jpg

SIG 550

assault2.jpg

FN SCAR

assault3.jpg

Sniper Rifles

M40A1

sniper1.jpg

XM 2010

sniper2.jpg

DSR-50

sniper3.jpg

Laser Weapons

Laser Precision Rifle

laserp.jpg

Cutting Beam

beam1.jpg

Recoloring

Andron Warrior

idle_SE.png

Wraith Elite

idle_SE.png

Wraith Warrior

idle_SE.png

Harridan Soldier

idle_SE.png

Harridan Warrior

idle_SE.png

Installation:

1.Make sure you are using a clean installation of Xenonauts

2.Make sure to start a new game, old savegames will crash the game. That is true for every mod out there that adds weapons and/or manufactures for weapons. Old savegames work until laser tech is researched.

3.Paste the contents of the *.rar folder into >xenonauts/assets/< and accept all overrides :D

This mod includes kabill's "(Sort of) Random Maps!" Map pack

Farm Maps v1.3

Desert Maps v.1.0

Big thanks and heads up to him :) Any bugs and suggestions concerning the maps find a home in here:

kabill's map pack thread

Also, this mod does not include but is recommended to be used together with:

PS.: Adding more *stuff* per edits, I dont feel like writing all this more than once :)

Patchnotes:

Patchnotes 0.16 -> 0.17

• Fixing Harridan animations. Mixed them up in the first variant :/

Patchnotes 0.15 -> 0.16

• Fixed a bug that could cause crashes for carrier missions (turned up in 1.06)
  • Color coding for harridan reworked, green trousers for soldiers, black for warriors. Officer (Red) and Elite (full body armor) stay the same atm.

Patchnotes 0.14 -> 0.15

• Adjusted *.xml to fit 1.06
  • Color coding for wraith reworked, from all green at all ranks to red for elite and black for warriors
  • Start menu background now shows version number :)

Patchnotes 0.13 -> 0.14

• Infantry Weapon Changes:
    1. KRISS Vector ammo loadout but fixed
    2. DSR-50 damage per bullet 80 -> 95
    3. Rocket flame and smoke chance reduced to 15%

[*] Alien Weapon Changes:

1. Light Drone Blaser supression value 60 -> 200
    2. Grenade radius 3 -> 4.5
    3. Assault supression radius 1 -> 2.5
    4. Plasmarifle single shot supression 25 -> 60

[*] Vehicle Weapon Changes:

1. MG Ammo 120 -> 800
    2. Rocket smoke chance reduced to 5%
    3. Plasma Bolt reworked: Clipsize 24 ; 17%TU -> 25%ACC, 30%TU -> 50%ACC ; Radius 6 ; Damage 60

[*] Maximum relations cap doubled

[*] UFO loadout for scouts adjusted to increase early game difficulty abit.

[*] Andron Warrior outfit changed from RoboCop look alike to something more ... tactical ;D

Patchnotes 0.12 -> 0.13

• Adjusted buildings.xml to use 1.05HF changes
  • Destruction state of hedgerows removed, something is hardcoded here :( Does not work as it should.
  • High tier weapon changes:
    KRISS Vector
    Bullet Damage 30 -> 33
    Snapshot AP 20 ->17
    Burst Accuracy 35% ->38%
    FN SCAR
    Normal Accuracy 85% ->90%
    Aimed Accuracy 110% ->120%
    Pancor Jackhammer
    Burst AP 60 -> 65
    Burst Rounds 3 -> 5

Patchnotes 0.11 -> 0.12

• Adjusted *.xml to fit 1.05
  • Animation for Glock 17 speeded up
  • Destruction state of hedgerows and UFO walls added, they can be removed now ;)
  • Fixed a bug in # of AP for Seb.Elite Assaults

assault1.jpg

assault2.jpg

assault3.jpg

sniper1.jpg

sniper2.jpg

sniper3.jpg

smg2.jpg

smg3.jpg

smg1.jpg

laserp.jpg

beam1.jpg

idle_SE.png

idle_SE.png

idle_SE.png

idle_SE.png

idle_SE.png

assault1.jpg.18d7b2535eb9e6e986797df0641

assault2.jpg.04200f2d48cac6935de2dba5ae2

assault3.jpg.b53f4531a7074c3b39da09e3013

sniper1.jpg.d913454faaf8f694617c77ca12f1

sniper2.jpg.b64bc3857c4df8a4665a10c7afc5

sniper3.jpg.758331eff0c03b0765979223f30a

smg2.jpg.8425334333227753741135a118190ae

smg3.jpg.910b37f9de2fbe9537dc5e34031f88c

smg1.jpg.3b5efc51a05c13c570f9a1bf6f5296e

laserp.jpg.0c95b9e5d2967353f746152e3e2c6

beam1.jpg.28c44baa17a4e57af054f676cd3708

idle_SE.png.f9c2c48dc9c892857d843e7dff90

idle_SE.png.267f2cc6f0a3567458fb1e91cd6d

idle_SE.png.726d0235243df37c2859e121d3fd

idle_SE.png.f650edda3bba27345d70e42e4e3e

idle_SE.png.4989ce771b8c801ef28cd2ce9ae2

Edited by Kel

Maybe so, but from a lore perspective, we got weaponized lasers because they finally provided a big enough power source, which we have no clue how it works, and plasma weapons because we pulled apart all their guns and said "Well that seems to do this, so just make something like that and hope it works"

Xenonauts weaponry is not innovative until we hit MAG xD

Could you please provide more information on how the upper tier aliens and numbers have been changed? I'm not going for a save-breaking mod before I complete my Insane playthrough but I'd be open to increasing the challenge and distinction of Harridans, Wraiths, etc. Are they changes to them isolated in specific files I could use without breaking saves?

If you want just use the adjustments to the aliens / changed Mission setup, the files do not break the savegame.

You only need the aiprops.xml and exchange every file in the ufocontents folder. Listing all changes would end up basically copy pasting the whole xml file, but in a nutchell:

Generally: Increase in tier increases movement speed / significially improves body armor.

- Caesans are relatively well balanced, focus on firepower and use of cover.

- Sebillian are focused on CQC and staying power.

- Reaper gain the ability to regenerated from their brethren the Sebillians, also, higher resilience. Weak vs ballistic and incendiary.

- Androns, highly resistant to ballistic and chemical, weak vs energy and incendiary.

- Harridan act like specOps, resistant to energy.

- Wraith, well, they do their thing ;)

Concerning the mission setup:

Generarly the amount of complementary, or meat troops was increased ( Reapers, Ground Crew on carriers, etc). More focus on agressive scripts, making 3 man hunter killer teams a more regular sight, but preventing cramped UFO interiors.

Included the "features" from 1.05 in the mod :)

• Adjusted *.xml to fit 1.05
  • Animation for Glock 17 speeded up
  • Destruction state of hedgerows and UFO walls added, they can be removed now ;)
  • Fixed a bug in # of AP for Seb.Elite Assaults
Edited by Kel

Included the "features" from 1.05HF

• Adjusted buildings.xml to use 1.05HF changes
  • Destruction state of hedgerows removed, something is hardcoded here :( Does not work as it should.
  • High tier weapon changes:
    KRISS Vector
    Bullet Damage 30 -> 33
    Snapshot AP 20 ->17
    Burst Accuracy 35% ->38%
    FN SCAR
    Normal Accuracy 85% ->90%
    Aimed Accuracy 110% ->120%
    Pancor Jackhammer
    Burst AP 60 -> 65
    Burst Rounds 3 -> 5

I was using the spectres from the unpacked tiles pack.

Unmodded it looks a little something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<spectre id="Farm/hedgerow/hedgerow_corner_TL" width="2" height="2" version="1">

<state id="damaged" name="" pivotX="256" pivotY="104" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="0.500" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="0" isCover="1" coverAnimName="lean" wallType="tall" destructionSound="Destruction Dirt">

<image src="tiles/Farm/hedgerow/hedgerow_corner_TL_destroyed.png" />

</state>

<state id="default" name="" pivotX="256" pivotY="104" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="4" visibilityScore="0.000" bulletScore="0.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="60" wallType="tall" destructionSound="Destruction Dirt">

<image src="tiles/Farm/hedgerow/hedgerow_corner_TL.png" />

</state>

<state id="destroyed" name="" pivotX="256" pivotY="256" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="0" wallType="none" />

</spectre>

I thought I identified 3 spots that disabled the "destroyed " state,

1. the "damaged" state has no hp, so a state check on hp cannot proceed here.

2. the destroyed state has no image assigned.

3. no sounds files are assigned, they might act like flag.

I fixed all three such that the hedgerow shouldve worked like the other tiles, but unlike the other tiles, it does not produce the image of the destroyed state and does not update pathing. *sadface*

The files I used are:

hedgerow_corner_BL_spectre.xml

hedgerow_corner_BR_spectre.xml

hedgerow_corner_TL_spectre.xml

hedgerow_corner_TR_spectre.xml

hedgerow_longLR_spectre.xml

hedgerow_longLR2_spectre.xml

hedgerow_longUD_spectre.xml

hedgerow_longUD2_spectre.xml

hedgerowLR_endL_spectre.xml

hedgerowLR_endR_spectre.xml

hedgerowLR_spectre.xm

hedgerowUD_endB_spectre.xml

hedgerowUD_endT_spectre.xml

hedgerowUD_spectre.xml

hedgerowUD2_spectre.xml

No idea why that didnt work :confused:

Oh and I forgot, it didnt have a </state>, but ... adding hp to the damage state made it destructuable, but despite a new texture assigned it only showed a black unpassable block. Strange thing :-/

Ah, I thought so. This is why I've not done this myself before. It's an issue with the maps: there's no actual ground tiles underneath where the hedges are placed, which means that when they're destroyed they leave behind an empty void.

The easiest way to correct this would be to add ground tiles to the hedge submaps so that when the hedge is destroyed, there's some ground remaining.

I just wanted to leave some feedback for this mod.

I tried it, and I have to say the idea's behind it, fantastic. However the early game feels way too easy for the following reasons :-

- Snipers are easy to attain 95% hit ratio, meaning it is high dmg, high range, extremely low risk weapon

- Scout tank stood still for 5 rounds being shot and hit, took 0 dmg (sebillian grunt)

- grenades way OP, amplified when in enclosed spaces

- No real reason to ever carry extra ammo (aside the early tier shotgun, but I find ammo expendeture in vanilla to be an equal problem)

This is all my experience from 1 1/2 testing the early game, speeding through to play some battles, getting some research etc.

Thank you for your feedback :)

I tried to address your concerns about the early game in the new version. Problem is, I do not want to have a completely uncanon start and it should be reasonable. As soon as corvettes show up, the difficulty rises steeply and it is not getting better ;) You usually need all the firepower you can get at that point. hmm.

The limits in early game are a) Aliens have nothing that is able to penetrate armor / b) The UFO's are really small, such that a crew of >10 seems a little rediculous :/

Maybe some more diversity in the aliens / alien weapons might help there, I am open to suggestions :D

But, here to the patch notes:

Patchnotes 0.13 -> 0.14

• Infantry Weapon Changes:
    1. KRISS Vector ammo loadout but fixed
    2. DSR-50 damage per bullet 80 -> 95
    3. Rocket flame and smoke chance reduced to 15%

[*] Alien Weapon Changes:

1. Light Drone Blaser supression value 60 -> 200
    2. Grenade radius 3 -> 4.5
    3. Assault supression radius 1 -> 2.5
    4. Plasmarifle single shot supression 25 -> 60

[*] Vehicle Weapon Changes:

1. MG Ammo 120 -> 800
    2. Rocket smoke chance reduced to 5%
    3. Plasma Bolt reworked: Clipsize 24 ; 17%TU -> 25%ACC, 30%TU -> 50%ACC ; Radius 6 ; Damage 60

[*] Maximum relations cap doubled

[*] UFO loadout for scouts adjusted to increase early game difficulty abit.

[*] Andron Warrior outfit changed from RoboCop look alike to something more ... tactical ;D (Many had problems distinguishing the different hues of blue, including me :/ )

Patched up the mod to accomodate Xenonauts version 1.06.

Also, some added patch stuff:

Patchnotes 0.14 -> 0.15

• Adjusted *.xml to fit 1.06
  • Color coding for wraith reworked, from all green at all ranks to red for elite and black for warriors
  • Start menu background now shows version number :)

Example:

Wraith Elite

idle_SE.png

Wraith Warrior

idle_SE.png

Uploaded early because the patch broke the game, checking for bugs now :)

idle_SE.png

idle_SE.png

idle_SE.png.2ca8f0e64c06de64b8685a3aa97a

idle_SE.png.42cc42ab6c6d0bea53f85e53d6be

Edited by Kel

Nice, I'll be taking the recolored Wraiths for sure! Thank you!

Having much more of a challenge with increased numbers of aliens by the way, haven't had much time to play recently but I went through a Cruiser today and it was so messy I had to reload a couple times.

I hadnt really realized how hard it is to distinguish Harridan soldiers and warriors. I hope this version works better for you :)

Harridan Soldier

idle_SE.png

Harridan Warrior

idle_SE.png

Patchnotes 0.15 -> 0.16

• Fixed a bug that could cause crashes for carrier missions (turned up in 1.06)
  • Color coding for harridan reworked, green trousers for soldiers, black for warriors. Officer (Red) and Elite (full body armor) stay the same atm.

idle_SE.png

idle_SE.png

idle_SE.png.5ea139ae19d707d8e8c4ac3d79f9

idle_SE.png.93533dc0413146ff236e02f76359

Just for your information:

If you change the colours of alien units the xenopedia for those units will not match anymore.

Maybe you are not interest in reading the xenopedia and just play along "experiencing" the colors of the units, but if someone does he/she will be confused.

Afaik there is no color coding for the ranks of aliens in vanilla xenonauts? Are you refering to Lore+? ;)

I may be a little confused here ( I admit), as I did some german translation. But I am very sure I have read something about the colours of alien uniforms during my games (v18 to v21).

It may have been only for some units and not as thoroughly realized as in Lore+ and it also may have been changed in the Xenopedia. I am not sure about that, as I am currently not playing and waiting for final version.

If there are no colour indications everything is fine for you. Just wanted to give you a little hint for completeness sake.

And before you ask, no I doubt that I will use this mod, as it feels like one of these "Michael-Bay-style-mods" with more boom and bang, like others here. And I don't need that.

To everyone his own :)

@ KevinHann, if you have any good ideas, I am open to suggestions. Right now my focus is on a consistent experience and improved usability ;D

At last, the Harridan animations had a mixup, Im sorry for this :( So... -> 2 updates in a day

Also added the reskinned aliens as a seperate download for those who are just interested in using only these.

Patchnotes 0.16 -> 0.17

• Fixing Harridan animations. Mixed them up in the first variant :/

Hi Kel,

Nice mod you got there - I really enjoy the laser weapon art wish these were more concepts like these :)

Yeah I also haven't seen any description in Xenopedia regarding colors of alien uniforms but Lore+ has this covered as good as humanly possible :)