My Gotcha! moment.

So there I was. Took a break from mods, was playing my vanilla playthrough. I'm doing a Caesan Carrier, everyone in Sentinel or Predator armour, everyone got MAG except one guy who has rockets. I am steam- no -facerolling the opposition. Seriously, Wraiths and Caesans got nothin', not even Psi because my morale score is in the stratosphere. We're just about to get to the next level in the Carrier, my rockeeter is a little bit behind.

My rocketeer got mind controlled.

Ow.

Yeah, that was a lesson in hubris.

Haha. We've all had one or two. My personal one was I went on the forums complaining that fighters really aren't dangerous enough and asking "What are they supposed to do? Go after the dropship? All they do is get farmed for alloys" One hour later a fighter nailed my shrike and killed all my best team, and that cost me the whole playthrough.

I've complained numerous times about harridans not really being a threat.

Well, I was just playing a farm cruiser map. One of my guys turned the corner of a hedgerow and was gunned down from out of nowhere. Took me the next two turns to carefully scout out the source: a harridan on top of a barn-like building. I crept my soldiers into optimal positions. First guy peeks out to take a shot and is immediately shot in the back from out of nowhere. I think I literally yelled WTF??? out loud and scrambled for different cover. A turn or two later and I discover the reason: a second harridan on top of another barn on the other side of the map.

So, I try to close in and get some kind of firing angles. The first harridan is playing hide-and-seek, running/flying from one side of the roof to the other, and the two of them have interlocking fields of fire over a large and open area. I have two of my troops watching the UFO doors while the other six (it was eight) are in a sniping battle. Just as I finally manage to kill one of the harridans, a seb comes running out of the cruiser, my two guards both miss him, and he shoots one of them dead. This is getting so bad one of my majors panics, throws his gun to the ground, and runs out in the open. Next turn the harridan blasts him down to 9 HP and he's bleeding.

I'm in disbelief. My A-team is being chewed into pieces. I take down the seb that ran out of the UFO and begin a "fighting retreat", i.e. running like a sissy. Mission aborted. Three officers dead, two badly wounded. As my Shrike lifted off I swore I heard the second harridan, still untouched, standing atop his roof and laughing loudly