Hi all, just want to let you know I finished a Xenonauts fanfic screenplay. Hope no one minds if I link to it here.
I started the project for two reasons: 1 was to show my fandom for the game, the 2nd was to practice my writing.
This is the first episode of a series if there's enough positive feedback. Writing it in screenplay format may seem like an odd choice, but I had several reasons for this. In my experience, writing, reading and revising scripts takes less time than traditional prose. If people like the story, but want me to write future episodes as short stories, I will, but I can't promise it will be perfect
I also thought that writing it as a screenplay would make it easier for people to read online. I don't know about others, but I prefer reading long prose on an e-reader or print book, rather than on a website. The screenplay is 44 pages, which roughly equals 44 minutes of screen time. I wrote it as if it was for an hour long drama series (counting commercials.)
Series Title: Xenonauts: First Strike
Pilot Episode title: Episode 1: Redemption
Plot synopsis: Tyrone Mercer is a bounty hunter down on his luck. Just when he's about to go broke, he receives a mysterious visit from two strangers. Little does he know, he will become the newest recruit in the war against an alien menace, waged by a secretive group known as the Xenonauts.
Few more points to make about the script:
- I uploaded it in .pdf format. Copying and pasting a formatted screenplay into a forum would probably not look good, so this was the better alternative.
- I don't know all the lore and back story regarding the Xenonauts universe yet. This includes the differences between the Cold War of our time, and that of the Xenonauts.
- In my version, the Cold War played out pretty much the same. There were still the proxy wars between the U.S. and Soviet sphere of influence (Korea, Vietnam, etc.) whether or not these would have happened in light of alien invasions, I don't know. Needless to say, the script is by no means representative of the setting's official canon material.
- If the project is liked well enough, I will try to introduce more things from the game into the story. At first, the Xenonauts don't have much. As the series would continue, they will get the cooler stuff like the flamethrowers, ground vehicles and alien tech based weapons and equipment.
- I have plans to introduce more female characters into the story, but they will not likely be soldiers due to the culture of the time period.
- I have no military background (unless playing an excessive amount of military strategy games count? ) , but I tried to represent soldiers and military stuff the best I could. If I made any mistakes or made a fool of myself I apologize in advance
- Lastly, if you really like the script and want to see more, have ideas, or even want to help me write more episodes, you're welcome to.
Hope you guys like it, feedback appreciated.
One more thing, I wrote it under my pen name.