Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [V12] Civilians not having any sense of self preservation.

[V12] Civilians not having any sense of self preservation.

Last game I played I had two civilians running straight into a burning house just to die instantly during the next turn.

Yes, the civvies are still using placeholer AI. It will be updated when the AI coder finishes it. (he was brought onto the project shortly before the kickstarter project launched ircc, so he hasn't had as much time as the other coders to do his stuff.)

Although I find it to be nostalgically accurate to how I recall the civvies acting in X-com

Awards:
    Posting Award
    heartfelt, warm tributes to our civilian friends can be found here.
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

Sergeant
    In times of great panic such as aliens killing everyone in horrible fashion, some civilians may consider a burning building a acceptable place to hide. Considering the situation.

Awards:
    Posting Award
    Sure, it may be the best available cover. It might not be fully ablaze, or it could be nearer the edge of the map than another building. But there's always a chance that the civilian will be jumping out of the fire and into the frying pan by choosing to do so. It's hard to imagine anyone running towards a fully ablaze building. Not in a fully sane way or unless something precious was in there, like their Xenonauts game.
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

Sergeant
    Such behaviour would be best for when a civilian panics, such as after being shot at or getting too close to a alien or something.

Squaddie
    Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsWeekling
    Suggestion: Have the civilians run towards the dropship whenever Xenonauts get close. I could imagine the Xenonauts telling the civvies "run for cover at our dropship". They may get in the line of fire for one turn, but after this they'll be out of the way.

Makes sense for non-panicking civvies to go to an area cleared by the Xenonauts. Their bio's state they have a history in armed forces, I'd imagine them being experienced in telling civvies what to do to get out of danger.
    Shouldn't be too hard to code this into the AI as well either.

Awards:
    Posting Award
    Of course, then the civvies are in the way when you have to run in terror away form the aliens and back to your base. Do you lose more points for shooting them yourself?

***** Based Madman
    Maybe they can make the civies flock to local forces or get behindish the Xenonauts.

Squaddie
    least we forget that the alien ship crash lands a few hours before we even get there and the civis should be runnign for the hills or hiding inside

(clearly I am joking so no need for any quotes)