Idea for a ground combat mission

Raywalker

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before however when looking at the FTD mod, reading the novella crimson dagger and thinking on the operation endgame it got me thinking of another type of ground mission.

Perhaps there could be a rare massive ufo that can only be shot down and present the player with an "alien base tileset" ufo ground combat.

I would have little idea how that kind of battlescape could be created and how the crash site effect would be achieved.

I am sure alien base assault objectives can be feasible as crimson dagger ended with a similar situation aboard a unknown ufo.( Crashed ufo, winding corridors and an alien equivalent reactor meltdown.)

I haven't thought out all the details and it is just ideas floating around.

If anything I hope I gave someone inspiration if it hasn't been mentioned before.

IIRC there are some new aliens ships made in the Dreagnought mod, but they doesnt add a GC mission because they were too large and it would take a long time to make the ufo foor plans... but maybe making this in that mod could be feasible :).

Im not sure if this was discussed before there but you could tell them this idea and see what happens , i like it :D, see ya bro.

I reckon you could actually do 99% of it with the existing tools. You'd just build the map as a single UFO submap and that'd be all. The only difficulty would be the player spawn-point since currently nothing exists that would work with this kind of set-up. However, as a workaround you could steal one of the spawn-point directions for the dropships and repurpose it specifically for this UFO type, e.g. as a 'blank' spawnpoint like in base missions. The cost of this would be having to replace the use of that spawn-point in other maps, but since the spawns for the Shriek and the Valkyrie are mirrored (i.e. ne/sw and nw/se allow troops to disembark in the same directions) it's only really an issue for Charlie spawns.

I reckon you could actually do 99% of it with the existing tools. You'd just build the map as a single UFO submap and that'd be all. The only difficulty would be the player spawn-point since currently nothing exists that would work with this kind of set-up. However, as a workaround you could steal one of the spawn-point directions for the dropships and repurpose it specifically for this UFO type, e.g. as a 'blank' spawnpoint like in base missions. The cost of this would be having to replace the use of that spawn-point in other maps, but since the spawns for the Shriek and the Valkyrie are mirrored (i.e. ne/sw and nw/se allow troops to disembark in the same directions) it's only really an issue for Charlie spawns.

Cant u do it a base attack style.. i mean make an entrance/start point at an edge of the base map rather then the middle.. i dont know how base maps spawn point works... so u dont need to put a plane in it.. but can u do a fallen ufo create that kind of base like map?I have no idea about how to do it..

Kabill could u find time to work on the dreadnought images i send u?

Cant u do it a base attack style.. i mean make an entrance/start point at an edge of the base map rather then the middle.. i dont know how base maps spawn point works... so u dont need to put a plane in it.. but can u do a fallen ufo create that kind of base like map?I have no idea about how to do it..

That's basically what I was suggesting as a solution. The 'problem' compared with base attacks is that the alien base tileset draws on a separate pool of spawn points to the UFO crash/landing sites, so you can't just use the alien base spawn point submap (hence having to reclaim a spawn point from somewhere else).

Of course, an equally good solution would be to simply have a large UFO with the drop-ship close to the UFO entrance, thereby all-but-erasing the 'external' part of the mission and focusing it entirely on the inside.

Kabill could u find time to work on the dreadnought images i send u?

Planning on having a look at it this weekend.

Kabill... lets do what u say.. a map like alien ufo inside.. but make the "ufo" part of the ufo...

How can i explain.. make a map, put only the drop point and some greens in front of the ufo entrance.. but the environment will be done with all ufo tile sets but it wont be an ufo submap.. ufo will be like its some rooms together.. so u can make your spam points at environment done with ufo tilesets..

could i explain myself?

Is that for the Dreadnought? Quite happy to do that if that's what you'd like.

as an idea.. so with this idea, u can make huge ships without searching arts for it isnt it?

It would be very good thing to add to make a fight with a downed dreadnought.. just try my images, if there is no go, we can use this way.. much more easier i think..

Side question: is our beginning base building set hardcoded? cant i redesign it with modding?

as an idea.. so with this idea, u can make huge ships without searching arts for it isnt it?

It would be very good thing to add to make a fight with a downed dreadnought.. just try my images, if there is no go, we can use this way.. much more easier i think..

This was actually my original idea way back for adding in a new super-large UFO. Personally I don't actually like it - to me it's too obvious a work-around for not having good-quality images for new UFOs and is too inconsistent with other mission types. But it is a plausible solution.

Side question: is our beginning base building set hardcoded? cant i redesign it with modding?

Yeah, it is. This is why I have not made any building mods yet; all my ideas involve changing the size of buildings but that doesn't work very well with a pre-set base.

This was actually my original idea way back for adding in a new super-large UFO. Personally I don't actually like it - to me it's too obvious a work-around for not having good-quality images for new UFOs and is too inconsistent with other mission types. But it is a plausible solution.

About map-making propably u thought everything i can give as an idea :)

I remember ufo and tftd battleships and u cant see the whole thing anyway.. at TFTD there was only of it.. heh..

Anyway as i said, just look my images and we can talk about it..

Yeah, it is. This is why I have not made any building mods yet; all my ideas involve changing the size of buildings but that doesn't work very well with a pre-set base.

Pffffffff... what a lame hardcoded think.. yeah especially about hangars.. i made a 2x2 hangar and even i thought the game will crash, it didnt but base ****up up... cant illunak at least change the layout.. i should be not hard. i want to add so many ideas to game.. i think i will relearn c++ after 20 years later...

Couldeyou have the dropship land ON the superlarge ufo, and then assault via roof hatches or fighter hangers or something? Thinking of the battleship maps from xcom:eu/ew

You could, but it would require retasking one of the existing dropship submaps for each type as outlined above. More problematically, there's not really a lore-friendly way of allowing your soldiers to move down from the top of the ship into the UFO (any soldiers without flying armour wouldn't be able to move down without adding in some kind of ramp or teleporter, neither of which would seem to make much sense).

(I wanted at one point to make some maps where the dropship unloaded onto the top of a building or something, but for the reasons I've just indicated it's far too impractical to be worth while, sadly.)