Preview 0.34.2 XCE - Open discussions

Charon

3 minutes ago, Solver said:

Do you happen to know what determines which tiles get used in a map? If a map is under maps/farm, does it have to use the farm tiles, or is it specified in the map XML and it could in principle use industrial tiles?

As far as my little knowledge about mapping is concerned i know that the game only loads the tile set the GC is on specified with "tilesetmask1.png" and the others. Heres an example:

1. The game notes that the GC is on a tundra color defined in tilesetmask1
  2. The game only loads tiles from tiles\tundra\...
  3. The game only looks for maps in maps\tundra\...

This means that everything that should be displayed needs to be in those folders. THE GAME DOES NOT LOAD FROM OTHER FOLDERS EVEN IF THE DIRECTORY IS CORRECT, IT ALWAYS STICKS TO ONE TILE SET.

This basically means that if you move the whole tiles\farm\... to tiles\tundra\... you can make a 100% farm map for tundra colors defined in "tilesetmask1.png".

Right, so you can make it do more stuff by copying. That's good. But tilesetmask1.png applies for normal ground combat, it doesn't apply for stuff like alien bases of course. Those have their own tileset.

Say we have an alien base map. Is it then still limited to the tiles in tiles/alienbase, or could it also use Farm tiles? Or only if they are copied to the alien base tiles?

25 minutes ago, Solver said:

Say we have an alien base map. Is it then still limited to the tiles in tiles/alienbase, or could it also use Farm tiles? Or only if they are copied to the alien base tiles?

Only if they are copied over, thats just the way xenonaut is coded.

5 minutes ago, Solver said:

That would also explain some problems with the tropical maps...

Okay, great stuff. This suits me. I'll make an attempt today to do something even better than the fake alien bases with a strange ticker. If it works, you'll love it.

We already love you from the bottom of our heart :)

11 minutes ago, Solver said:

Granted, I am far from being good with UI, but I seem to have gotten past that hurdle :) Check this out:

special.png

WOWOWOWOWOWOwOwOwOwOwowowowowowowowowowowowowowow.

Whats this, a modified teror side with a 12 hour timer ? Own code lines like relation damage, ticker increase, and failure penalty ?

I'm just reusing the terror image because I cannot create new icons.

It's a custom mission that you'd be able to spawn by name. Like SpawnSpecialMission("CaptureTiberium"), which would translate to your own CaptureTiberium map and crew. Nothing particularly advanced yet, but it's a very promising start.

3 minutes ago, Solver said:

I'm just reusing the terror image because I cannot create new icons.

It's a custom mission that you'd be able to spawn by name. Like SpawnSpecialMission("CaptureTiberium"), which would translate to your own CaptureTiberium map and crew. Nothing particularly advanced yet, but it's a very promising start.

Indeed it is :).

Just now, Solver said:

Well if this works, it would make more sense to make continent loss spawn one of these special missions as opposed to a fake super-large base, I think.

Thats true, although that depends on the modability of the Special missions like how long do they stay up, do they increase UFO spawn, etc ... . Im trying to stay in line with your original code you have already done.

Bases also have a lot of unique features like that they level up after time which is in line with a good country retaken mission, that it gets harder the longer you wait.

I would say nothing if the special mission could have a line of code "IsAlienBase=true" or something along the lines of integrated Alien Base functionality.

I dont really think that special missions and alien bases could replace each other, they are just 2 differnt pair of shoes and both could have their limits raised.

Just now, Solver said:

Good points, I see how both could be useful.

Do you have somebody capable of creating icons? I'd like to use a different one for special missions, and they're still turning out to be quite cool.

>>> Drages <<<<

He will create you anything from scratch and is the graphical director for X-Division. Have you seen his images ? Heres one you might have not seen yet:FOCUSBLAST.png

Re hi.. i was away for a while.. "SHAME!!!! SHAME!!!"..

Nice things are going on.. we are closer to my preator princess with evil uncle scenario.. 

Xenonauts biggest problem is nothing have an identity.. Its like to call NASA, "Astronauts"... So when using the symbolic things like bandages, ranks, medals, they are all random things which not connecting to a militia like Xenonauts. X-Com made it great with the most possible way. So the first thing i done was creating something you name like X-Division as who you are. 

Why did i explain this with my bad english? As Solver wanted to have new items, i can make a "X" , if i would do it for X-Division i would use a shield. But for the vanilla system, i don't know what would be the best in a little circle. I will look for some designs right now..

• Solver locked this topic