[v1.09 Ground Combat] Crash when loading base defence mission

The game crashes when loading the first base defence mission, other missions so far have loaded fine.

I've tried replacing the tiles - directory with the unpacked tiles, did not help although it seems the crash happens later in the load process. How do I validate the game files if it's not downloaded from Steam?

I'm playing on linux, Ubuntu 12.04 with wine 1.6.1. Wine gives an error message "The program Xenonauts.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close."

AutosaveIM2014-08-11_18.42.05.sav

Well, I reinstalled the game through steam and on running the file verification, it says 62078 files will be reacquired and starts re-downloading the whole game. This seems to repeat indefinetly...

And it still crashes when loading the base defence.

I have the same issue on ubuntu 14.04, wine 1.6.2.

update:: validating steam install returns no errors. Deleting the tile atlases and using the tiles folder provided on the bug fixes page resolves the loading issue, and the base defense missions start. However large parts of the maps are then missing, for instance the floor and some walls / computers show up and after deployment they are just blackness. Units can enter and interact with everything (black spots where doors apparently are operate and produce sounds like doors).

update2:: After swapping the tiles folder out I had not re-validated my steam install. On revalidation about 145 files were not validated and were re-downloaded. Not sure if this is just re-applying the tile atlas system?

I am running an intel i5vPro, 8 gig ram and integrated graphics (laptop).

Edited by WhenKatzComes

Yes, seems like the same issue as in this thread: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11849-Game-freezes-on-loading-Alien-Bases-%28Steam%29

That mission loads fine for me on Windows, which suggests it isn't a game problem but a port issue. Thinking on it a little more, it's quite significant that both of these missions involve alien / Xenonaut base missions, which are large maps that are very densely packed with tiles. WINE seems to amplify the bad texture performance of our engine, which eventually leads to crashes when the graphics card gets overloaded. If you've got integrated graphics then they may well not be able to handle it.

The best thing to do is replace the texture atlases, as in point 6) here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11735-Common-Bugs-Fixes-in-Xenonauts%21

If the game is loading individual tiles rather than entire atlases, it should be able to handle more tiles before it has problems...but you may still struggle when you reach the larger missions late-game, unfortunately. Give it a try and see what happens, though.

@WhenKatzComes - it sounds like the tiles didn't copy properly there. You shouldn't be getting black spaces on the map if they've copied correctly and started a new mission. Maybe try it again? The re-validated files will indeed just be putting the atlases back. Let me know if it works a second time, as I might have to look at it if not.

After repeating the troubleshooting steps, alls well! To recap:

1) had to swap the tiles per step 6: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/f...n-Xenonauts%21. Trying the mission at that point loaded just fine but was missing textures.

2) Then I had to validate the game cache via steam, which is where the extra download came in, and on reloading the mission everything worked.

First off, I had been really delaying playing the game and waiting for release just because I wanted to experience it once it was feature complete (and I'm glad I did, its great). Secondly, unless Chris is a team of interns / employees operating on one alias, I am really impressed with the continued support / responsiveness you have put into this even post launch!

I've been psyched since pre-alpha. Well done developing in such a public context (its been going awry for others recently). And thanks for your work! Its a classic!

Glad you like the game. A word of warning, though - if you've revalidated, the game will have put the tile atlases you deleted back again.

If you get the same problem again, make sure you delete them as you already have the base tiles that the game can load instead.