[1.07 HF] Complete silence - no sound at all

Xenonauts is completely silent. No music in the menu or geoscape, no music or sound effects in ground combat. The volume sliders are both set to 10. FWIW, my sound works fine in every other game I have, both on Steam and otherwise.

I bought the game about a year ago and there was definitely sound then. I didn't really get into it and deleted it. Heard about the full release and reinstalled (using Steam).

I completely deleted all files in the Steam/steamapps/common/xenonauts folder, as well as the Xenonauts folder under c:\users\username\my documents. I then reinstalled and the game is still silent. I've done "verify integrity" several times. Restarted PC. Downloaded .ogg codecs and tried to install and it says I'm already up to date. I can play the music and sound files directly from the folders and they play fine in WMP.

I have a suspicion that the problem has to do with me using a different headset than the one I was using when I first bought the game a year ago. The old one was a Razer Megalodon, current one is a Razer Kraken. But I've deleted every relevant file I could find. I looked in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Xenonauts and see no keys related to sound or hardware.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to give the game a serious try now that it's final, but not really into total silence.

• 5 months later...

Hey, I just recently bought the game (from steam) and upon start up i noticed the same problem. My sound is set to 10, and I've never had a problem like this before. I also use the Razer Kraken 7.1 headset. Without the sound, I'm completely taken out of the experience, and it's just frustrating playing the game in dead silence. Please somebody reply. This is with v1.5.

The game itself doesn't do anything with sound playing, it's handled by the engine, which cannot be altered. I would expect this to be a problem with your sound drivers, I have a vague memory of somebody reporting this somewhere already, and changing sound drivers helped. Either way, nobody here can help otherwise, sorry.

I have the same problem using Razer Kraken USB 7.1 surround sound. The solution for me was very simple: Start game launcher and click play with sound coming out of speakers - audio plays. Then, plug in headphones - audio still plays. The only time it didn't work was when I started the game with my headphones plugged in already.