Information on Attributes\Stats

I bought the game on Steam early access about a week ago. Still on v21 stable and really enjoying it (I've managed to clock in 31 hours at the creation of this thread). One thing that I still have little understanding of, is the attributes. I can guess what the obvious stats do, (such as strength, accuracy, TU, HP) but the not so obvious stats have me making "best guesses" on their effects. An example would be Reflex. My best guess would be that it affects(Along with remaining TU) whether a Xenonaut can take a reflexive shot or not during an Alien's turn.

So, anyone have more detailed information on the attributes? I've tried searching on the forum, but couldn't find the necessary info. Also, the manual doesn't contain anything substantial either (Edit: probably should have been more attentive of the header in the manual, it's from 2012.) . I think it's worth noting that I've never played any of the X-COM games.

Thank you for your patience and for my GOTY (even if it's still in testing!). :)

Edited by Shodanbot
Added comment on the manual.

Yes, the reflex stat determines whether your soldier gets a reaction shot(s) or not. You have to have enough TU reserved for the shot, of course, and your soldier also has to pass some kind of test (his reactions are quicker than his targets' are, or something like that; I'm sure plenty of the veterans on this forum know the exact protocol).

Bravery affects your battlefield morale and your susceptibility to alien psionic (mental) attacks

Reflex - Affects your chance to take reaction shots when you have reserved TU, also affects whether an alien with reserved TU can reaction fire against you (I think this is per action). I think a weapon's reaction modifier is added to the formula, so wielding a shotgun\pistol for example (1.5 modifier, I think) will increase your chance to pass reflex tests.

Bravery - Increases resistance to psionic attacks and reduces chance to panic\break\berserk during a mission.

Edited by ViewThePhenom

so i will just list them all as i understand them for the giggles

Time units is some what cut and dry, but is also a component for all reaction shots, it boils down to the more Time units you have left the less likely you are to get shot,and more likely to get a shot.

reflex i am less clear on exactly how it works but as stated its a modifier onto remaining time units for reaction fire rolls, if all things are equal for your solider and the alien, so both have 70 reflex, remaining time units along with weapon modifiers are the major players for reaction fire which is checked every time a time unit is used. as of right now pistols and shotguns have a modifier of 1.5, normal rifles and having empty hands modifier of 1, light machine guns and sniper rifles have a 0.5 modifier. rocket launchers have 0 if i remember right, and cannot reaction fire. sadly don't know the mods for some of the other items sorry, but i would hazard if they are not a gun they are counted as empty hands.

Health as i understand it has the face value of not dying, it seems i was wrong on the suppression part so i edited as to not confuse. your chance to pass out from stun damage is based on remaining health, this applies to aliens as well, so a few pot shots to soften them up before the stun gas can speed things up.

Strength effects carry weight before you get a time unit penalty, also how many tiles a grenade can be thrown. while not directly the stat it self, the machine gun also has its accuracy effected by the wielders strength, if it is under 75 if i recall correctly, it forces you to use the lower of 2 stats of strength, and accuracy. so a trooper with 50 strength and 80 accuracy will shoot a machine gun as if he has 50 accuracy.

bravery is much like health for the mind, so when a team mate dies or a trooper gets shot at he has damage done to his morale, the base line of which comes from the bravery stat. higher bravery equals a higher starting morale. morale is effected positively by killing aliens, being around team mates, also naturally regenerates slowly. once morale is damaged your troops have a chance to panic. independent of morale is your chance to not be effected my alien psychic attacks, bravery is used to do checks for this. higher equals better.

accuracy is just your chance to hit when shooting or throwing, expect in the case of machine guns, shots cap out at 95%. oh and this is not technically accuracy but the closer to your target you are for each tile under 6 i believe, you get a bonus to your chance to hit, this applies to every weapon but sniper rifles. another thing that is not part of accuracy but i feel might be worth adding, damage drops off once you begin shooting out side of a weapons effective range, so once your aim line starts to turn yellow your damage gets a penalty, so even if you have a 95% chance to hit a target you will do less damage if it is not within that weapons green range.

disclaimer if any one has any corrections on the mechanics feel free, this is just what i have gathered from playing and the forum

Edited by quiescat
wrong about suppression

Health as i understand it has the face value of not dying, but also it effects how much suppression you can take before being suppressed, so the guy with 100 health is much harder to suppress then the guy with only 40, armor also reduces suppression damage. your chance to be suppressed is base on remaining health not max health, so if you have a guy with 2 hp left it will take less for him to be suppressed. your chance to pass out from stun damage is based on remaining health, this applies to aliens as well, so a few pot shots to soften them up before the stun gas can speed things up.

Suppression is dealt with by Bravery, not HP (unless that changed at some point).

Thank you to ViewThePhenom and quiescat. That information goes a long way to choosing new recruits and arming them.

Also, I had a feeling shotgun\pistol increases a Xenonaut's chances of a reaction. Not that I'm going to arm all my recruits exclusively with pistols and shotguns. Heh.

On the subject, I think precision rifles get a negative to reactions. Not sure.

Edit: Oops. Info's in quiescat's post in the reflex section. Probably should have read it thoroughly instead of skimming through it.

Once again, thanks folks. I'll try not to play it too meta. ;)

Edited by Shodanbot
Because I'm an impatient idiot!

The reaction fire system is basically the same as in the original x-com apart from the addition of weapon modifiers.

There is a pretty in depth write up of that original system with some examples if you are interested:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Reaction_Fire

I believe the weapon modifier is used to modify the reaction stat before TU modifiers are taken into account.