Anybody playing ironman?

I suppose for me Ironman mode is only for the people that can't trust themselves; not to reload every time something bad happens.

also the game just doesn't seem to run as nicely on Ironman mode and pauses/lags every now and then.

I have only ever had 3 corrupted game files and 2 of them were on Ironman mode, very frustrating (as you all know).

So now I just make a pact with myself to rely on the autosave's mostly :)

I do also save at the beginning of every month, before I quit and on the first UFO sighting of a wave.

as I too have animals,

that like to join in and push buttons when they feel it necessary to do so,

which most often is not the best time as far as the game goes.

Although there was this one time my pet bird pancake saved one of my condors from a missile, by stepping on the Q key, problem is that he also fired both missiles into empty space and disabled the cannons.

2014-04-30_00001.jpg

lol
also a turn 2 that looked something like this in ironman would simply just require me to smash something :P

by the way, this is the beginning of turn 2, I haven't moved anything yet!

Sometimes you just get shit on!

2014-04-30_00001.jpg

2014-04-30_00001.thumb.jpg.62d11b8103c20

Edited by TehRoach

I started playing with ironman off due to the slow enemy turns, just need to keep away from loading saves even when my whole team gets raped like yesterday. Cleared 1st terror site with one wounded soldier left, send full recruit team to small ufo crash site and lost 3 noobs to one burst fire in opening moves :D

I have only ever had 3 corrupted game files and 2 of them were on Ironman mode, very frustrating (as you all know).

as I too have animals,

that like to join in and push buttons when they feel it necessary to do so,

which most often is not the best time as far as the game goes.

Although there was this one time my pet bird pancake saved one of my condors from a missile, by stepping on the Q key, problem is that he also fired both missiles into empty space and disabled the cannons.

I have tons of corrupted ironman saves :/

LOL for your animals and condors xD

Started out on Ironman when I began with xenonauts... 5 corrupted save games cured me pretty quickly. now I rely on my self discipline to get the Ironman effect... and it works. :) After a while you realize pretty quickly safe scumming only cheats you out of your fun. Remember Dwarf Fortress:

Therefore, eventually, almost every fortress will fall. The only ones that don't tend to be very conservative and very boring—and what fun is that? Therefore, DF = losing ∧ DF = fun ⇒ losing = fun, and that's okay! It's a game philosophy, so embrace it, own it, and have fun with it!

@TacticalDragon Yer have no time for corrupted saves, also by saving it monthly, I can go back and not have to completely restart the game, ie tactics for the missions once the AI starts to use grenades, are just time wasters in the early missions.

@Palander yer I have an i7 3.4ghz with 16GB RAM and 5xHDD RAID0 SSD's cache and there is still seams to be a huge lag in the ironman aliens turn.

@StK Definitely agree, that is why I always bring Extras (rookies) on every mission, give them a shield and just use them as scouts.

Self imposed Iron man, teaches you discipline as well, by keeping the control in your hands.

I know that this may sound illogical, but I am pretty sure my computer likes to cheat every now and then! lol :P

@TacticalDragon animals are great and they definitely know when you are not doing it right and just simply must correct your play style. Pancake will often just stand there watching, but then sometimes he will see my finger flinch so he has to try to stand on it, but the funnies thing is when he wonders over to my GF's laptop (he can fly but opt not to), he really likes that one because it has buttons with LEDs in them, that turn on and off like the CapsLock and NumLock keys or ones that change colour like the WiFi button. I actually don't know how long he could just stand there pressing the button, but I fear that the button would wear out before he got board :P