Ground Combat - cover too tall, can't see behind it to move

When playing on Ground Combat, some of the cover that your soldiers can use is very tall. So if you are trying to get a soldier into cover behind some 3X3X1 square hay bundles, you can't see exactly where the soldier is going to walk to because the green box and cursor is blocked by the hay bundles. This happens with a lot of cover in the game. Would be nice to be able to see the green boxes to actually see where my soldier is walking when attempting to get behind cover. If that can't be possible, how about a button to shift the screen 90 or 180 degrees to see behind the cover? Thanks.

LordCy

Yeah, it's a long standing gripe of mine. I wish there was a way to turn objects a certain distance from the mouse cursor translucent and untargetable. By objects I mean anything on layer 1, so cover (crates, rocks, etc.), props that block movement like the train carriages, and walls.

If that can't be possible, how about a button to shift the screen 90 or 180 degrees to see behind the cover?

I have asked a similar question some time ago and someone answered quite reasonably that in doing this view-rotation all sprites, animations and graphics have to be created again for these view angles. Additionally the target-hit calculation modells for buildings and other objects have to be done again too. This and the limitation of the engine does not allow that.

Hope I repeated that right. If not, somebody has to correct me.

I agree the rotation is alot of work, but the translucency thing would be easy, and be a big help.

I have asked a similar question some time ago and someone answered quite reasonably that in doing this view-rotation all sprites, animations and graphics have to be created again for these view angles. Additionally the target-hit calculation modells for buildings and other objects have to be done again too. This and the limitation of the engine does not allow that.

Hope I repeated that right. If not, somebody has to correct me.

It is not all that easy to do with the current game engine judging from some of the comments Chris has made on this subject over the years.

It is quite a big problem and one that is acknowledged by the devs so if it was a simple fix I think it would have been done long ago.

It is not all that easy to do with the current game engine judging from some of the comments Chris has made on this subject over the years.

It is quite a big problem and one that is acknowledged by the devs so if it was a simple fix I think it would have been done long ago.

Thanks for catching the rest of us up! :)

I am still hoping that some progress can be made now that the game is coming to the final production stages.

Maybe people will be less involved with adding the last of the planned features so more time can be given to things like this.

Just wanted to point out that it has been discussed before and may not be as simple to sort out as it might appear on the surface.

That's what happens when you use a dated and barely fit for purpose game engine.