How does alien escalation work?

Asmodean

What drives the escalation of:

1) Alien ground forces

2) Alien spacecraft

I am asking because it seems that the spacecraft progress VERY quickly while ground forces a bit more moderately so.

Early on I had finished out what I will call tech level 1 of the research tree and I had nothing left to research.

But then new research came flying in and I felt way behind... Then even as I am catching up I cannot afford much... especially I cannot afford to be competitive in the skys. So I was worried I somehow triggered the game to move forward faster than I could keep up. Right now I am tracking 9 alien space craft and I can probably manage to shoot down two! Is that normal!?

So I wanted to understand if the alien threat progresses based off a predefined timescale? certain number of missions? research progress overall or certain research projects? Hoping I can manage a better balance next restart.

There is a ticker, a hidden counter that only counts up, never down. Each mission type that ufos can undertake has a predetermined start on the ticker, and at predetermined points on each mission type, new ufos are introduced and old ufos gradually removed. (So for example, scout missions will start with light scouts then graduate to scouts). Some mission types have specific requirements - the air superiority mission type only happens after you shoot down your first ufo. Each ufo type that you can shoot down has a predetermined crew compliment (the types and classes of aliens are predetermined, but the actual numbers are variable), so it all ties into the ticker.

EDIT: Yes, it is normal that you can't handle everything. It is intentional that you shouldn't be unable to handle everything that the aliens can throw at you. The theme of Xenonauts is "race against time". You can't win by strength of arms. What you are doing is buying time by blunting the invasions' success while you look for a way to stop the invasion in a single bold, desperate thrust (Operation: Endgame).

Edited by Max_Caine

• 2 weeks later...