Map markers over Fog of war showing sounds from last turn

Asmodean

Here is an idea I think would add a lot of realism and game play.

Humans:

For the human player I'd like to see some sort of marker on the map (even outside FOV) showing where sounds were heard. Maybe it would be limited to loud sounds like gun fire and explosion. And it would not need to be placed exactly.

Aliens:

I'd like to see the aliens respond to gunfire as well. It seems odd that I can engage 2 aliens in a fire fight only to find 2 more hanging out just a little farther on. Even if the aliens in the fire fight die, it should still be marked as an area of interest to the aliens to move on and check out. And when I meet up with one of those big military base walls and decide to c4 my way thru instead of walking all the way around... the aliens should be all over that. This could also be a way to differentiate alien types... maybe only certain types would behave this way. Maybe some would actually run the other way?

Of course this could be used by the player to try and bait the aliens so not sure how to avoid it becoming an exploit... just wondering what people think.

Regarding your second proposal. If you check aiprops.xml, among the alterable ai properties you'll see this at the top:

Sound: Each action will cause a rippling, decaying function originating from the source. Negative attracts unit to the source

As far as I know it's not working yet, but the potential for it is there.

To avoid it becoming too exploitable the aliens may not actually come running to the area, they may just get close to it and find cover to wait and see if anyone approaches.

If they are on the defensive then at least some of the alien races should consider waiting in ambush rather than charging in.

To avoid it becoming too exploitable the aliens may not actually come running to the area, they may just get close to it and find cover to wait and see if anyone approaches.

If they are on the defensive then at least some of the alien races should consider waiting in ambush rather than charging in.

That sounds like some complicated AI scripting.