[v8.9 Ground Combat] FOW doesn't really hide NPC

Yeah, this isnt one of the "specific circumstances" so I agree It shouldnt be spotted here. but I still want it to be ingame to be able to spot aliens like this in night missions. (possibly on maxrange of visibility on day missions too.)

That's why im conflicted =P

Theres might be a compromise in wich the silhouette for any unknown units is the same. Lets say a larger Civilian shadow. While you don't know what is on the other side you can still know something is there.

Also seems to me that the wall should be black where it have not being seen. Maybe linking the wall texture to the tile in front of it in case it's face has not being seen.

In fact, only the wall having an unexplored squares facing the player would need that.

This should help, you would not need to redo all the black sprites for each units (lots of work there).

Edited by plucx

It depends a bit on implementation in the final release but I figure it isn't too far from reality, it's just covered up in a FoW mechanic. It's not unlike seeing someone moving around in a building across the street: You can't see any details but you do know that someone is doing something in a certain place in a given room.

I do believe they need a neutral element for NPCs you haven't spotted properly, so you can't immediately see if it's a human or alien from the shadow. I don't expect any such solution while it's in Alpha, though.

Theres might be a compromise in wich the silhouette for any unknown units is the same.

It still doesn't address the problem i described: Due to the isometric nature of the game this silhouette is visible only when approached from the top. You clear the fog from tiles behind this silhouette and it becomes visible.

When approaching from bottom part of the map you clear tiles that are lower than that figure. The tiles behind it stay black not revealing NPC.

PS: I have nothing for or against implementing silhouettes for some kind of two-tier FOW. I just pointed out that it should not depend on approach vector.