Help a noob with the opening game?

MFToast

Hey there folks, I'm new here. I've been playing Xenonauts for a while now, but with this new experimental build 7, I'm having a really tough time as the game progresses. Any tips on opening moves, things I should focus on early on? By my first terror mission I'm still using basic weaponry :| Everyone dies. Any tips or a link to a thread I didn't see would be swell!

Hi - because the balance is still in a bit of flux I don't think anyone has put together a comprehensive guide on the game, as it would be obsolete fairly quickly. However you probably want to make sure that you are pursuing upgrades for both the air combat and the ground combat at the same time, rather than focus on one - the difficulty of both ramps up at the same time. Right now funding is a bit of an issue for the Xenonauts, which is something I am looking to soften a bit in coming balance updates.

I would actually also be interested to hear general tips from the community - we are implementing a tips system on the new loading screens, so good ones might be able to go on there.

In ground combat, the aliens can't hit what they can't see. Ending turns out of their line of site is generally the safest way to play. And in general it is usually better to keep your troops alive than risking them to kill an alien.

And always always always research anything that sounds like a power source -> Explosives upgrade before anything else. Even before the air combat got silly in 20.7, those were still by far the most important upgrades in the game.

since the latest build I've been mainly just focusing on getting foxtrots up ASAP, as well as a hunter car, just having trouble getting the tech to upgrade my forces as things get more and more intense, also money gets pretty thin. Anyway, I understand that things aren't set in stone right now, just asking for some general tips, thanks!

Since jets (and apparently Hunters no longer "die") your best bet is to reserve $260K right from the beginning of the game. Your first base improvements should be a hanger and a garage. Put 5 scientists on developing each one once you've got alien invasion researched. You'll have a copy of each probably built by the end of the first month. I will say that Foxtrot is probably a higher priority than the Hunter if you have to choose. You really need at least TWO Foxtrots IMO, so build another at the start of month two.

Forgot to mention, I'm playing on normal difficulty.

Yep, I always go for the extra hangar, garage, and medical center, two foxtrots and then the hunter. I guess we just need to wait for a bit of balancing again? I'm just getting murdered in the air and I'm trying so hard D: Would be nice if avalanche missiles were just a TINY BIT faster.

What's beating me down is that by my first terror mission, I'm at best just rolling out a few laser weapons and some personal armor. Trying to keep a cushion of ~100k to spare at least. I get that it's supposed to be challenging, but on Normal it seems it should just be a tiny bit easier as far as the actual invasion comes along. I'm probably way too noobish to go beyond that though, everything is just my opinion and what I've experienced :P I CAN'T EVEN GET INTO THE LATER GAME!

the trick for the terror missions for me is let them come to you and not chase them around until you have thin theyr number. Unfortunately this means that most civilians are gonna die but better them than your precious soldiers.

One or two smoke grenades to cover your exit from the charlie are also really helpful as sometimes you get 3-4 aliens just around your starting position waiting to slaughter you.

You can clean terror missions with just the starting equipment with a bit of patience (and sacrificing a lot of civilians, lol)

What's beating me down is that by my first terror mission...
OK, a couple tips on terror missions: First and biggest tip use the dropship as cover. I usually have as many troops as possible run to the back side then I only have to engage a small percentage of the aliens. Once those are clear I start moving back around the dropship to engage the others. There is a horrible crossfire on the front side of the dropship, so it's stupid to go there until you've got one side cleared. You might consider having one guy in side door with limited LOF arc just to keep an eye on that side. That's usually an LMG guy in my case. Don't even try to be a hero and save all the civilians. You'll just get your guys killed.

Second tip, arm your troops with only heavy weapons and lots of explosives. The load for a terror mission should be rockets and LMGs. There is no need for subtlety because you not going to be bringing alien tech back. Nor do you need entry teams, capture equipment or people that can move quickly. The aliens will come to you.

Edited by StellarRat

I think this is pretty common knowledge but never ever do a mission during night early on. Always time the charlie so that it gets to its destination in broad daylight.

Also its quite easy to trick the AI into shooting your shield guys as they tend to always take theyr max accuracy shoot no matter what. So either keep your shield guys a couple of steps ahead or have them stand up as the rest of the team is crouching

This is all good advice for dealing with terror missions. I don't equip everyone with rocket launchers, since that sounds kind of dull. For me, using plenty of smoke grenades was the turning point. Having a scout with a riot shield's not a bad idea either, especially for base missions.

Hehe, rockets for everyone might be overkill (although it does sound kind of fun...).
My last terror mission was 4 rocket launcher and 2 LMGs plus the Hunter with MG. When it was over the ground around the dropship look like a burnt wasteland. Don't forget that you can overload your troops with rockets and ammo than dump them on the ground as an ammo cache before you start moving. That way you can run back and grab more if you run out.