[V19 SC ground combat] minor bug unselectable troop

After bagging an alien in my first ground combat (literally, my guy dropped his rifle and med kit to pick up the alien's plasma pistol and clip and shoved the alien body in his backpack), he and the guy nearest him became unselectable by click. I can only assume that his buddy was somewhat horrified at what he was doing and he realized himself that he was stuffing a dead body into his backpack and they both just zoned out.

easy workaround: you can still scroll-select, number select, and click their picture to select - you just can't select them by clicking directly on them. It also fixed itself after a turn or two.

Also on that note, should I be able to use plasma weapons like that? Not having been researched and just gathered on the field of battle? I wasn't sure if the 1% hit rate came from it being unresearched or him being overburdened with a dead body in his backpack.

This happens from time to time and doesn't seem to be at all related to bagging aliens.

And yes, you can pick up alien plasma weapons, but as they are not designed for human use, you take a severe accuracy penalty for using them, to the point where only being point-blank makes their use viable.

I notice sometimes Aliens are not select-able when near certain objects like sides of larger ufos. (you can just target the ground in manual fire selection as a work around).

Also what is the point of putting a alien body in your backpack?

Because you can. ;)

I've had this happen too; it was a soldier wearing jackal armor with a sniper rifle facing north west in a light scout desert map. (You know, the one where you start off in the bottom of the screen, there's a fenced compound with a hole in the fence to the north-west, a bunch of rocks and desert to the north-east, and the UFO in the north.

Because you can. ;)

I've had this happen too; it was a soldier wearing jackal armor with a sniper rifle facing north west in a light scout desert map. (You know, the one where you start off in the bottom of the screen, there's a fenced compound with a hole in the fence to the north-west, a bunch of rocks and desert to the north-east, and the UFO in the north.

I'm glad I didn't have to justify that. But I actually had a reasoning to it. You see, I wasn't sure if the game "auto-collected" battlefield goods at this point or if I had to "escape" with them. Also, because you can. I've stuck friendly bodies in my backpack as well. Only because it was morbidly amusing. I have trouble making friends.