Avoiding reaction fire

There was a Sebillion inside a building on one of the Middle East maps. I knew he was in there and had a heavy waiting to suppress (or kill) him. Also a rifleman was waiting to run to the window, shoot, and run away again. However for the heavy to get line of sight I had to open a door. Another rifleman was well placed to do so.

So I run up to the door and there's the yellow icon to open the door, but I can't work out how to use it. The only way I could open it was to move one space in and then move back out again. This extra movement used up TUs that could have been used for getting the hell out of there before my heavy fires his incredibly inaccurate burst (a danger to friend and foe alike). It also might have contributed to triggering the reaction fire which took him down to 3HP (and due to bleeding was 1HP by the time I got someone in to heal him).

My questions are:

How can you open the door without moving in and out of the room?

Why could he reaction fire? I thought you had to use a certain amount of TU while in their sight, but all I did while he could see me was move a couple of squares.

Could I have avoided reaction fire here? Or could I have been safer if the rifleman shot from the window first as his cover would be better?

Can the aliens (or the Xenonauts) take multiple reaction shots in a turn?

LMB works for me when opening doors. You have to stay next to the door (not even dead straight, diagonal is fine) and left click. That should open the door, without "walking into them". As for the reaction fire I assume it's when you move more than a tile in their field of view. So if you open the door, then there was no fire ever, but when you moved out of a cover into the field of view, even first tile in the enemy spot area, you might get shot. In order to remove reaction fire possibility from enemy, you have to suppress them (useful when entering their craft for the last aliens). In order to do that you have to use flashbang or automatic fire (best option is heavy). After that turn (first one is hardest), pinned down enemy i easier to suppress and even single fire in next turn might suppress him.

1. Have a soldier within one tile of a door, then hover your mouse of the door and right click when there is a yellow door prompt.

2. Aliens can reaction fire whenever they are not suppressed. To my knowledge they can open fire whenever you enter a certain radius around the enemy 15 tiles or so and provided they have a clear line of sight on you.

3. Yes, you could've used the Riflemen first to suppress him and if that failed you could have used a flashbang after opening the door or just plant C4 next to the wall he was using. Lots of ways to flush an alien out. ;)

4. Not too sure, sometimes aliens have reaction fired twice on me other times only once.

I often blow up the wall not where he is for a two pronged attack. Then, there are options for grenades and also the Assault shield, which I'm finding handy in taking out aliens in close quarters. At the least, a pistol will suppress it, while someone else finishes it off.