Drop ship improvement (step between Chinook and Shrike)

Hello!

I see the missing step between two first dropships (while in interceptor branch we have Foxtrot step).

I'd advise to use tiltrotor aircraft concept (represented in present times by V-22 'Osprey'). The first prototypes were developed in Germany in 1938. The first actual model in Soviet Union - in 1972. American models such as X-22 was developed in the same time few years earlier (1966-1968).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/44/X-22a_onground_bw.jpg/300px-X-22a_onground_bw.jpg

So This is not unreachable technology in game-time. The speed can be much faster then Charlie's, while these prototypes may be unable (for example) to carry tanks.

That's just an idea. You know... In my game in February game-time I think twice to build or not to build Shrike *expensive and hard in man/hour aspect. While my engineers make 1 Foxtrot in 24 hours (and I supplied each of my 8 bases with 2 of them).

I understand that it will cause additional graphics for landing craft, but may have real sense.

Good idea of more use of dropship in ground combat!

Another idea of dropship role was discussed within project 2021: Last Frontier, but due to close of project seem to be only an idea. The dropship as gunship. Having support auto-cannon in the cockpit. Making some fire support from the landing zone. So the soldiers may disembark safely.

I'll try to search for graphic sketches. They might be in archives. And post here.

One thing I can put right now. This is a principle design of dropship which have open platform as starting point (you will see in views from axis).

the thing with having support weapons is, that for balance the aliens should really have something equivalent. Having your soldiers gunned down leaving the chinook isn't fun. Neither is having a screen saying your chinook was shot down before it even gets into land.

Alkonost dropship.jpg

The name of dropship sounds as Alkonots (the word from Russian mythology, a magic bird with head of woman). In English that is halcyon. So the form factor is flying wing, while soldiers do not need to make additional steps (and cause reaction fire) to look around.
This drawing I made 10 years ago.

Alkonost dropship.jpg

577e7cb5b2e08_Alkonostdropship.jpg.c6976

• 2 weeks later...
the thing with having support weapons is, that for balance the aliens should really have something equivalent...

...Used to be called the ****ing Blaster Launcher, and they just loved lobbing them over into your LZ...

I always wanted to mount a small turret or something on top of a landing craft, even if it was just the equivalent of a HWP turret or something.