I use 'vault' teams. Shield + carbine/shotgun pairs. Takes a while to be really effective (STR requirements) but when they get experienced its damned effective.

The number of times I've been able to charge an alien with the shield guy (absorbing any reaction fire) then crouch and move the assault up to burst fire or throw a grenade for a quick kill is steadily increasing. I also find it fun.

I use 'vault' teams. Shield + carbine/shotgun pairs. Takes a while to be really effective (STR requirements) but when they get experienced its damned effective.

The number of times I've been able to charge an alien with the shield guy (absorbing any reaction fire) then crouch and move the assault up to burst fire or throw a grenade for a quick kill is steadily increasing. I also find it fun.

All of this while your gun group is suppressing with overwhelming firepower I hope!

Nope. The Vault teams move out with maybe 1 rifleman to support them (modded game so 10 soldiers). They basically run towards where the the UFO is, or where I think it is, with the shield facing in the probable direction of any fire.

I find they can deal with nearly any alien (or group) they find, with use of smoke and grenades. If a group is too heavy or numerous for them to deal with, I pull back, bring in more troops then advance again.