18.2 New Game - Drop Ship Capacity

Edit: GizmoGomez beat me to the post.

I doubt he was directing that at you, TrashMan. That statement came off, to me, as more as in-general. The way people set up their loadouts will vary, and having plenty of options is more satisfying than a restrictive amount. When the majority of players start claiming that the game is too easy as a result of a specific mechanic or design, then re-balancing can come into play.

8 soldiers is a biiiit too small a complement, I think. The extra bodies are really necessary for weaker players (like myself :P ) to be able to brute force their way through missions. Plus, heavy casualties in massive shootouts are fun!

I would advocate for a complement of 12 for the Chinook, as 8 is just...tiny.

I've been able to manage with 8 troops, or 6 troops and a hunter, for two terror missions and several normal ones now. It's not idea, but it can be done, and with zero casualties, too. Just make sure everyone is trained as a medic, if they can spare the weight of a medkit, and even if they can't, unless they're full of rockets for a launcher, get rid of something so you can have then carry a medkit. They're invaluable.

Oh, it certainly can be done, but it's tough, and the lack of troops really hurts people who aren't quite seasoned X-COM vets (again, like myself :P) and need those extra bodies for when they inevitably bungle things.

If you bring the Hunter in the Chinook you're only putting 6 warm bodies on the ground and that's just so few soldiers.

I've been clearing normal missions fine with 8 soldiers; this is more so a concern for terror missions.

Edit: GizmoGomez beat me to the post.

I doubt he was directing that at you, TrashMan. That statement came off, to me, as more as in-general. The way people set up their loadouts will vary, and having plenty of options is more satisfying than a restrictive amount. When the majority of players start claiming that the game is too easy as a result of a specific mechanic or design, then re-balancing can come into play.

Oh, I know why he wrote what he did. It was obvious.

I was just messing with him.

I'm terrible, I know.

Also, why only 12? Why not 20? Why not 100?

I want to use the Imperial Guard tactics and drown them in bodies!

They have 3000 ships? Even assuming carrier-like complement for each one (6000) that's still nuttin'

Pffft...

We got 7 billion poeple!

Jsut setting civilians on fire and sendingthem on alien-hugging missions should be enough!

Edited by TrashMan

I've been able to manage with 8 troops, or 6 troops and a hunter, for two terror missions and several normal ones now. It's not idea, but it can be done, and with zero casualties, too. Just make sure everyone is trained as a medic, if they can spare the weight of a medkit, and even if they can't, unless they're full of rockets for a launcher, get rid of something so you can have then carry a medkit. They're invaluable.

Medkits dont help much when the aliens can kill your soldiers in 1-2 shots.

I finally managed my first terror mission today, but just barely.

I lost 4 soldiers and 1 hunter, with the remaining 2 soldiers near death.

In most cases my soldiers were killed in 1 shot, sometimes it took 2.

Most of the time the aliens were shooting in burst mode, firing 3 shots, and for some odd reason they always hit with 2 of the 3 shots, while the 3rd would have missed had the soldier survived.

So unless you can revive a dead soldier with a medkit, they are little use when the aliens kill your soldiers with 1 shot.

Pvt Kildare: Stand Back! We can save him!

Sgt thothkins: man, he's just a smear!

Pvt Kildare: Nurse! prepare the patient!

Sgt thothkins: Prepare a mop, more like. That was a heavy plasma blast.

Pvt Kildare: Tis but a scratch!

Moving to coveralls certainly makes it tougher, even with medikits.

A couple of losses, as pointed out by Jean-Luc, there's a bigger impact on your smaller squad when you lose one or two. And you probably will lose at least that many. I know I do.

I guess there's a wait and see element to it, until the AI is complete, just to see how brutal these things are going to be in the final game. Imagine what we're playing now turns out to be the easy difficulty:)

Oh, I know why he wrote what he did. It was obvious.

I was just messing with him.

I'm terrible, I know.

Also, why only 12? Why not 20? Why not 100?

I want to use the Imperial Guard tactics and drown them in bodies!

They have 3000 ships? Even assuming carrier-like complement for each one (6000) that's still nuttin'

Pffft...

We got 7 billion poeple!

Jsut setting civilians on fire and sendingthem on alien-hugging missions should be enough!

Give me a mod with that configuration, and I'm there. :)

I have to say I thought I was doing pretty well with my 8 man squad right up until I came across my first terror mission. Had half the squad in wolf armour and all with lasers so feeling pretty confident. I think I lost three soldiers to one shot blasts in the first round and as a night mission my guys were dying before I could even spot the aliens. Not sure another 4 troops would have made a difference so back to the drawing board for me.