[V8.41 - General] Wounded Soldiers

The game crashes on you for no apparent reason? Chances are you have an injured Xenonaut in your ranks. As harmless as they seem, they hold the power to bring your whole organisation down in flames.

It took me a couple of hours, but I managed to see my team through a Ground Combat mission with a formerly wounded soldier on board, on the condition that I let the individual in question mind his own business, staying motionless and empty-handed in the chopper. Actions as menial as attempting to select the convalescent, or opening the inventory screen for any of his squadmates, invariably brought forth a CTD.

Along the way to the Battlescape, I ended up staring at the desktop a few dozen times. Engaging in Ground Combat proved to be the most perilous step of all, but other hazards I identified in the process were loading a save state which had our test subject bed-ridden in the infirmary, and once he recuperated, the Personnel and Soldiers tabs.

All in all, the crashes occurred inconsistently to the point of seeming random. At times, I was able to assign the poor bastard to the Chinook and alter his fellow soldiers' loadouts in base without a hiccup.

In closing, I'd like you to take a close, hard look at your worst enemy, who shall, Flying Spaghetti Monster willing, remain anonymous.

anonymous.jpg

anonymous.jpg

anonymous.thumb.jpg.5c0fe86bb04495e2546e

Edited by iamkyon

OK, can you specify exactly what's causing the crash then? Amusing writeup but it's not entirely clear.

So this soldier was wounded in the battle, or was wounded before the battle and then just left in the dropship?

And the following actions caused a crash if he was present:

- Selecting him

- Opening his inventory?

- Surviving the battle and then regenerating his health, and then opening the Personnel / Soldier Equip tab?

I have had a soldier wounded on almost ever mission and have not had any crashes along the way... as long as i don't save and reload. My last game I made it all the way to July 10th with all research done and every single mission had at least 1 dumb guy get shot :) but I did not load a game during this time.

I have had the crashes from loads while clicking the Personnel and Soldiers tab which would fit in line with the issues you have been seeing. This would appear to be something in the loading of saved games that causes the CTDs.

So this soldier was wounded in the battle, or was wounded before the battle and then just left in the dropship?

Wounded during his Ground Combat debut, recuperated and reassigned to the squad. He recovered from his injuries within 10 hours, by the way, despite the Personnel tab giving him a prognosis of two days' bed rest.

And the following actions caused a crash if he was present:

- Selecting him

Check.

- Opening his inventory?

Opening any comrade's inventory.

- Surviving the battle and then regenerating his health, and then opening the Personnel / Soldier Equip tab?

The game inevitably crashed upon our useless test subject's return to base from his second mission. Prior to his engaging in it (but after he had recovered), opening either tab caused a CTD about 25 percent of the time.