V17.52 - cannot hire more soldiers

I have brought a game into a state where it is impossible to hire more soldiers: When I go to the "hire menu" and select some the number of soldiers, a window pops up. When OK the window contains the soldiers available for choosing, in this case it is empty. It will stay empty even after save/reload and across some months (*cough* September+first half October) and the state will apply for all bases.

I can offer to send a savefile per mail.

One way to go to this state is:

• Hire some more soldiers plus scientists.
  • Hire some technicians (after soldiers arrive at base) but NO soldiers
  • Hire soldiers while waiting for technicians -> see description above

Possibly some saving in between is necessary.

Maybe the soldiers have heard what a terrible commander you are and don't want to die under your reckless orders.

Soldier1: Hey man NoSoAna's hiring more soldiers

Soldier2: No way man the guy makes you shoot unarmed civilians and play hot potato with primed C4 explosives

Seriously though I will test your game tomoz cos I'm just off to bed, sounds odd though.

Don't use this method, as you will get multiple soldiers with the same name, and it will eventually bug up your game beyond playability.

I do this: Hire ALL soldier available at the start of the game - then you have a large pool to chose from...

Sounds like you have to start a new game. Place a base and hire a soldier.

Save it as game X. Return to your actual game and the soldiers will be available.

yes, it's true that there is a drawback. amerelium's solution is just the sort f thing that an X-Com skinflint like me only uses as it makes sense :)

" But he has one leg intact. We can attach the canteen toaster to it and send him back out there. No need to spend on anythign extra."

Don't use this method, as you will get multiple soldiers with the same name, and it will eventually bug up your game beyond playability.

Oh, I have noticed some strange things, but could not track them down...

I do this: Hire ALL soldier available at the start of the game - then you have a large pool to chose from...

And how do you transfer them from one base to another? The second base is the main reason I would like to hire soldiers later on, the first few are to make sure a have a 12-man squad even after a few injuries or deaths. (Maybe I did not look closely enough for a transfer button, but I found it only for planes and for stockpiles...)

And how do you transfer them from one base to another? The second base is the main reason I would like to hire soldiers later on, the first few are to make sure a have a 12-man squad even after a few injuries or deaths. (Maybe I did not look closely enough for a transfer button, but I found it only for planes and for stockpiles...)

There's a "Relocate soldier" button on the left of the soldier equpment's screen, right under the box listing the soldier's attributes.