Walls interfering with view (QoL)

delor

Having started a new campaign to celebrate the Milestone 2 drop, one thing I'm really noticing on the introductory cleaner missions in the bases is how painful walls make it to view the map, especially when you're moving through hallways on missions like the "retrieve the supplies from your old base" mission.  There's the stripe-y green "unit behind wall" feature through to show you your units behind barriers, but I still find myself constantly rotating the camera to get a better view of what's going on- sometimes even if I'm just trying to see what's going on in a single corridor.  The same criticism applies to some of the taller cover, as well.

There's a couple of ways to deal with this.  One is to render walls that might be obscuring vision of the map with transparency- just look for some X-Com 2 streams on Twitch, for example, and watch what happens when the tactical view is panning over buildings.  Another older-school solution is to just have a toggle button on the UI that just chops off the rendering of walls and doors at knee-height so that you can see a barrier but they don't obscure any cover or units behind them, the same way you currently have a button to toggle roofs.  (worth considering still rendering the frames of windows when active in this case, so it's obvious where holes that can be shot through are)

• Like 3