Cover next to shooter provides no cover

from here.

This seems to be correct behavior: cover that is adjacent to the shooter is not counted.

Cover next to the shooter shouldn't get in the way of shooting from behind said cover. However, if the target is hiding behind something, that cover should always count as cover, even if it's the same "something" that the shooter and target are hiding behind. In real life, hiding on the other side of a pile of bricks will make you a lot harder to hit than sitting in the open.

Please re-examine this adjacent-tile mechanic.

nocover.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with above.

I've also given some thought on the other cover issues... here's two suggestions:

• cover value should decrease the further it is from the target.
  • firing from higher ground should decrease cover values on lower levels. The larger the height difference, the lower the cover values.
Edited by Skitso

14 hours ago, SoftwareSimian said:

from here.

Cover next to the shooter shouldn't get in the way of shooting from behind said cover. However, if the target is hiding behind something, that cover should always count as cover, even if it's the same "something" that the shooter and target are hiding behind. In real life, hiding on the other side of a pile of bricks will make you a lot harder to hit than sitting in the open.

Please re-examine this adjacent-tile mechanic.

nocover.jpg

This might seem silly, but are you sure that cover is really there? There have been issues with items that have been destroyed still appearing undamaged, but they are actually not there anymore!

The best way to tell is to get your soldier to walk beyond an object - a single click so that it displays the route but does not move the soldier.  If the route shows up as going through the object then you know it is not really there even though you can see it!

That being said, I am never quite sure whether you get cover from objects diagonally, if you know what I mean.