3x3 vehicles

As per the differences between X1and X2 announced by @Chris 

"The large 3x3 vehicles from the first game are replaced by smaller and more modular 1x1 vehicles. This might initially sound like a downgrade, but in practice they are way cooler:"

I do agree, that MARS is more versatile than the bulky 3x3 vehicles, it would be still great to have the Scimitar in early game as a heavy UGV, which would provide a sturdy combat platform with heavy armor (crushing through walls and objects as well - even rhe ones MARS cannot) to provide additional firepower and heavy cover for the soldiers. The MARS is indeed cool, but not so much survivable when faced with plasma weapons for example (about 2 shots from plasma with heavy plating) I do understand the mentioned issues with pathfinding, also it could only fit into the initial dropship, as the Dragonfly has not much space left fully loaded (no idea how much space the ultimate dropship will have, assuming 16 slots with max 2  vehicles 1x1)That could be also a limiting factor to its usage - old dropship only.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Komandos said:

If the player in the game will have 3x3 battle platforms, then the aliens should also have similar ones.

Not necessarilly. I understand it would be fair from the balance standpoint, but as the alien technology is more advanced, very powerful weapons can be used in a smaller unit. The Cyberdrone is an example of that. It already feels like being a multi tile enemy and with its powerfull weaponry and overwatch ability, it would balance out.

Currently, to beat the cyberdrone, you need (better said my tactic used is) a couple of guys to flank it from multiple sides and use its superb senses against it to get shots to the back or sides. MARS is no match for it, so bringing a unit, that could withstand multiple shots from it would be cool.

When you face plasma weaponry in early game, then bringing in heavier armor units is a logical step.

52 minutes ago, Raffik said:

Not necessarilly. I understand it would be fair from the balance standpoint, but as the alien technology is more advanced, very powerful weapons can be used in a smaller unit. The Cyberdrone is an example of that. It already feels like being a multi tile enemy and with its powerfull weaponry and overwatch ability, it would balance out.

Currently, to beat the cyberdrone, you need (better said my tactic used is) a couple of guys to flank it from multiple sides and use its superb senses against it to get shots to the back or sides. MARS is no match for it, so bringing a unit, that could withstand multiple shots from it would be cool.

When you face plasma weaponry in early game, then bringing in heavier armor units is a logical step.

Demolition charges are quite good against it, as they are very effective at stripping armour, and if you target the tile behind it then it will rotate to face. 

One thing that is quite helpful is to work out what order you want to shoot, move the 1st shooter first, but don't move. Then move the 2nd shooter into position. The Cyberdrone ought to be facing the 2nd shooter, so the first can now hit the rear, it turns around, and then the 2nd shooter gets a rear shot too. 

1 hour ago, doubleskulls said:

Demolition charges are quite good against it, as they are very effective at stripping armour, and if you target the tile behind it then it will rotate to face. 

Hmm... haven't tried that yet. I usually don't use the demo charges, I like the frags better. I might give the demo a chance in the next gameplay. Lasers seem to work good as well

1 hour ago, doubleskulls said:

One thing that is quite helpful is to work out what order you want to shoot, move the 1st shooter first, but don't move. Then move the 2nd shooter into position. The Cyberdrone ought to be facing the 2nd shooter, so the first can now hit the rear, it turns around, and then the 2nd shooter gets a rear shot too. 

Thats the exact description of the tactic I do use against the cyberdrone - using its superior senses against it :)

However, bringing a sturdy unit that can eat a few shots head on would still be cool ;)

@Raffik Depending on what I'm up against I generally prefer a mix of demolition & frag. Demolition are better at clearing terrain and frags more useful at stripping cloaking from Wraiths, and softening up the enemy. Both are quite useful IMO. I tend to naturally tend towards demolition charges for terrain clearance rather than shooting with lasers, but that could sub-optimal play on my part! 

On 8/12/2023 at 5:19 AM, Komandos said:

If the player in the game will have 3x3 battle platforms, then the aliens should also have similar ones.

Oh definitely. I would love for an alien vehicle to destroy. And I think I speak for a lot of people in the forums considering we have a thread on3x3 vehicles on a weekly basis.

• Like 1