X1 UFO and tank models in X2?

I never played X1, only saw a few videos from the gameplay but I liked the models and UFO  layouts there, would it be perhaps possible to implement the models from X1 to X2 as well? 

For example, some of the alien species could use the scout or corvette from X1 (say sebilians) and some would use the X2 models. 

This could also help to differentiate the aliens species.

For the Xenonauts, some of the equipment could "return," such as the rocket launcher nad scimitar scout tank.

The initial dropship has some spare cargo space, so the scimitar from X1 could be reused . If implemented, the player would have an option to go with MARS, or with Scimitar as a heavy weapon platform instead. But as the scimitar is 3x3 tiles, it could be carried only in the Chinook, as the Dragonfly seems to be smaller and only the MARS (2x) could fit in.

It would give more tactical options and also some restrictions to the use of the scimitar and vice versa, with the MARS being small and used as a squaddie, the scimitar with superior  armor, but too bulky to be able to Storm the UFO interior floors. To add more reason behind its usage, the Scimitar could be armed with plasma main weapon as the only human platform f.e.

Edited by Raffik
addition
  • Like 1

• Raffik changed the title to X1 UFO and tank models in X2?

Raffik, UFOs will come more and evtl. some more cool Enemys, Transports, Fighter-Crafts. That´s in the To-Do-List from the Devs integrated.

What the Devs already announced is the Fact, that there won´t be movable 2x2 and 3x3 Vehicles / Enemys anymore in X2. They tried it and if it were possible, we would have it already in the Game. Therefore you have the MARS with Adjustments (later an ARES with Adjustments), the Aliens Robots and different 1x1 Size-Fyling-Tanks / Helpers.

As Static Vehicles (Tanks, Army-Scouts) it could be possible. Like in the City-Terror-Maps with the big limitations show us as unmovable improvement (Busses, Standard-Cars).

Edited by Alienkiller

1 hour ago, Alienkiller said:

They tried it and if it were possible, we would have it already in the Game.

Eh from what I’ve gathered from what stated by Chris when I asked this recently. It’s not actually impossible but more about being extremely difficult for pathfinding to calculate the movement of a multi tile enemy or your own unit. The first game also had this issue but it wasn’t very pronounced due to the tanks being able to crush everything except for hedgewalls and the UFOs. 

Chris said it’s preferable to just rebalance the current MARS which simply sucks hard and serve like a bargain bin heavy weapons guy that costs way too much, can be killed by even clearners and way too inaccurate to actually do fire support.

4 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

Raffik, UFOs will come more and evtl. some more cool Enemys, Transports, Fighter-Crafts. That´s in the To-Do-List from the Devs integrated.

What the Devs already announced is the Fact, that there won´t be movable 2x2 and 3x3 Vehicles / Enemys anymore in X2. They tried it and if it were possible, we would have it already in the Game. Therefore you have the MARS with Adjustments (later an ARES with Adjustments), the Aliens Robots and different 1x1 Size-Fyling-Tanks / Helpers.

As Static Vehicles (Tanks, Army-Scouts) it could be possible. Like in the City-Terror-Maps with the big limitations show us as unmovable improvement (Busses, Standard-Cars).

Hi Alienkiller, I understand that there will be more UFOs with time, I've red the development roadmap.

What I meant was, that the UFOs from X1 have had very nice models and it would be nice (and also easier for the devs) to reuse them in X2 as well to add variety.

Thanks for confirming about 3x3 vehicles, although I still believe, that it would be logical and nice to have a heavy UGV, I understand, that the devs decided not to bring them again and replaced them with MARS/ARES.

Good idea about the static models, there could be a couple of missions in military surroundings, there they would fit perfectly (at least as cover)

Edited by Raffik

Xeroxth, I have played X1 too as an Stopgap until new Games (XCOM 2, Phoenix Point, XCOM: Chimera Squad etc.) of that Gerne and an Predecessor (Xenonauts 2 incl. the first Beta-Years) come up. Since then it´s out of the HDD.

I´m not an Programmer and Graphic-Desinger for Games, but have played all older Games of that Gerne and know why the old X-Com-Row get no big Vehicles anymore after the first 2 Games. If the Devloper-Pros / Veterans from Firaxis (new XCOM-Row etc.), the Phoenix-Point-Devs (old X-Com-Row) and all others make 1x1 Vehicles in different Sizes, then it will have big Reasons. And I know what Chris mean, if you play the old X-COM: Enemy Unknown / TftD and in the 2010s Xeononauts 1 with the 3x3 or 4x4-Tanks as last try of that.