Suggestion: Make soldiers list filterable

I use the soldiers menu a lot to choose who I want to take on missions, and in which role as I find it a bit easier than through the assignment dialogue. One thing that would be very helpful would be able to filter out soldiers based on a few factors

• are they available (i.e. exclude heavily injured or in-transit soldiers)
  • are they injured (i.e. exclude anyone with <100% HP)
  • are they already allocated to the dropship - yes/no (i.e. only show those units who are or are not already 'on board') 

23 hours ago, doubleskulls said:

I use the soldiers menu a lot to choose who I want to take on missions, and in which role as I find it a bit easier than through the assignment dialogue. One thing that would be very helpful would be able to filter out soldiers based on a few factors

• are they available (i.e. exclude heavily injured or in-transit soldiers)
  • are they injured (i.e. exclude anyone with <100% HP)
  • are they already allocated to the dropship - yes/no (i.e. only show those units who are or are not already 'on board') 

So which screen are you referring to precisely here? The actual Soldiers screen, or say the Soldier Assignment screen that pops up when you try to assign a soldier to a dropship slot?

Do you already know that you can sort by the different column headers, including (I believe) Assignment?

'Manage Soldiers' from the Soldier menu I'm aware of sorting. In my main base I've got ~26 soldiers, and for every mission some get injured and some recover, and new ones are recruited. So I don't have a very stable squad mission to mission. 

Ideally every mission I want to bulk unassign all soldiers from the dropship, and assign them to a 'blank' template. I'd then want to filter out the soldiers I do not want to take (those who are injured, in transit or based on rank). Then I want to sort them, generally by strength or accuracy, and then assign them roles. This is quite fiddly with the UI at the moment, and involves a lot of horizontal scanning across rows (are they injured? in transit) and I can't easily just go vertically. 

I'd like to be able to filter out Colonels, I don't take them on regular missions unless I have to, and this becomes annoying later on during the EA, as I'll have half a dozen of my 'top ranked' soldiers who I don't want to take. 

Being able to drag & drop the columns would help too, so the ones that matter most to me I can put adjacent to each other, reducing horizontal scanning. 

9 hours ago, doubleskulls said:

'Manage Soldiers' from the Soldier menu I'm aware of sorting. In my main base I've got ~26 soldiers, and for every mission some get injured and some recover, and new ones are recruited. So I don't have a very stable squad mission to mission. 

Ideally every mission I want to bulk unassign all soldiers from the dropship, and assign them to a 'blank' template. I'd then want to filter out the soldiers I do not want to take (those who are injured, in transit or based on rank). Then I want to sort them, generally by strength or accuracy, and then assign them roles. This is quite fiddly with the UI at the moment, and involves a lot of horizontal scanning across rows (are they injured? in transit) and I can't easily just go vertically. 

I also find the soldier selection and assignment part not very streamlined.

Maybe it would be better to look into the issues from the "slots in dropship" point of view. We could assign specific roles to each slot of a dropship, incl. vehicle, and simply select the soldier from all available soldiers with this role. This has some benefits:

1) You only have to assign a role to a solider once.

2) The number of soldiers for each slot is limited by the number of soldiers with the role. That means if the game wants to know which soldiers goes to a dropship slot, it first presents you only the ones with the selected role. This makes it easy to distinguish between them by states and status, since you only have 2-4 of each type.

For the case that no solider is available for a slot with a dedicated role, have a "allow any role" filter during the solider selection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sword7495 said:

1) You only have to assign a role to a solider once.

If I am taking say 2 snipers, I always want by 2 highest accuracy soldiers in those roles. If one of them gets injured then the 3rd best accuracy will be a sniper, but they are likely to be in a different role (e.g. rifleman). So am I regularly changing roles of soldiers. Also I tend to not take soldiers once they've reached Colonel. The last thing I want is one to get killed randomly in a breaching a UFO, and its good to level up the rest of the team. 

Edited by doubleskulls

One particular category I'd like to be able to filter for when selecting soldiers to add to the dropship is medals.  As it is, it's very annoying to manually bring up each soldier to figure out who hasn't gone on a UFO/Terror/Base Assault mission so that I can ensure that they pick up those medals for the extra stat boost.

Edited by Armor9D
  • Like 1

And in a specific role only mabee a select number of each rank limit unless the soldier dies on a mission then we have to select the next vest soldier out the rank below eg by either kills or medals or even a recommendation from other people/soldiers like the training instructed or a rank below saying that thia person deserves the uprank 

This would also help with the mission suggestion list eg we pick we want 2 snipers then they suggest the best avail option at that time 

Edited by cman1983

On 8/3/2023 at 10:17 AM, sword7495 said:

Maybe it would be better to look into the issues from the "slots in dropship" point of view.

I agree.

I propose to make two modes of assigning soldiers to transport:

1: By profession.

2: The old way.

(There should be two destination modes)

1 - A soldier with a certain specialty (for example, a machine gunner) can only be assigned to a seat on an airplane reserved for the role of a "machine gunner". If such a place is occupied, then the list of vacancies "by profession a machine gunner" for such a soldier will be empty.

2 - The old way.

• Like 1