Where is the instruction manual?

1) Just got laser weapons. How does thermal damage compare to kinetic?

2) What do those numbers for the different regions at the bottom of the screen on the geoscape mean? How do I influence them?

3) Will multiple medical centers stack?

4) We need more tool tips. Currently, we need to build a structure then scroll over it for the tool tip on what it does.

5) How do soldiers increase in rank?

Is this the correct location for these questions? I know I have more coming.... lol.

There is no Instruction Manual, you get Tooltips in the Game instead. I suggest you go bit by bit over the Buildings, Weapons etc. like in the tutorial described and read the Tooltips. Therefore they are implemented in the Game. That´s the new instruction Manual of the Games today.

1) Just got laser weapons. How does thermal damage compare to kinetic?

Thermal does double damage to terrain, otherwise I think it makes no difference. There are differences between the weapons though. 

2) What do those numbers for the different regions at the bottom of the screen on the geoscape mean? How do I influence them?

That's panic, when it hits 100 you lose that region. Shoot down UFOs and complete the missions. So if a region has higher panic you really need to get radar coverage in and get some interceptors up and fighting. 

3) Will multiple medical centers stack?

I don't believe so. 

4) We need more tool tips. Currently, we need to build a structure then scroll over it for the tool tip on what it does.

Fair enough

5) How do soldiers increase in rank?

By taking part in missions. There is presumably some hidden XP that they gain for surviving, killing aliens etc. The stats all have tooltips that tell you how you gain progress on them. I'm not sure, if you've built a training centre, whether they'd level up from that too or whether it just improves stats.  

Edited by doubleskulls

I think that by the time the game ships, there will be a manual. I don't think that a game can exist without a manual. Even those who want to brave the manual, eventually return to find why they couldn't do what everyone else did with a lot of ease.

10 hours ago, Hapato said:

I think that by the time the game ships, there will be a manual. I don't think that a game can exist without a manual. Even those who want to brave the manual, eventually return to find why they couldn't do what everyone else did with a lot of ease.

I'm not convinced of the need for a manual. Many of the questions that have been asked are answered in the game already. Also, modern games are much better at explaining things in-game than traditionally. I think dev time would be better focussed on tooltips, the xenopedia and, if there is stuff they just can't get in those for some reason then isn't this a fallback? 

Riddle me this, then. How do you get data from the cleaners' office. I did it once, by luck mostly. Since then, I have approached from the sides, from the front, from the back and then, well, no cigar, not even a fag. So, what then? If this subject was resolved and existed in the instruction manual, and I didn't find it, well, my fault. Thing is, should everything pan out, there MUST be an official document of sorts where the players can find the best way to get things done, as written by those who wrote or played a lot of the game.

Down to business. How do you get that data from the cleaners? Is there a method to it or am I simply doing everything wrong?

41 minutes ago, Hapato said:

Riddle me this, then. How do you get data from the cleaners' office. I did it once, by luck mostly. Since then, I have approached from the sides, from the front, from the back and then, well, no cigar, not even a fag. So, what then? If this subject was resolved and existed in the instruction manual, and I didn't find it, well, my fault. Thing is, should everything pan out, there MUST be an official document of sorts where the players can find the best way to get things done, as written by those who wrote or played a lot of the game.

Down to business. How do you get that data from the cleaners? Is there a method to it or am I simply doing everything wrong?

Never mind. Figured it out. Must have had a case of brain freeze or something, even though it is mighty hot here.

• Haha 1