Weapons left behind during missions are not recovered

Zen

During some missions (specifically including the cleaner headquarters mission), weapons left behind (because they are dropped or traded) are not recovered for re-use.  The base inventory is simply out a handful of laser rifles and shotguns, with their corresponding soldiers holding the remaining ammo clips but not the weapons themselves.

Items left behind on missions where you have to exfiltrate your squad / board the helicopter afterwards are not recoverable (as far as I know, this is expected behavior). I didn't play the cleaner headquarters mission yet, so I don't know if you have to blow it up or leave the base after completing some objective, but I think this might be the reason.

That was my understanding as well, but the cleaner HQ, as well as other missions I've seen this on, is not one of them.  This is an 'eliminate all enemies' sort of deal, and it does recover enemy corpses/weapons/etc.

On 7/22/2023 at 12:46 AM, Zen said:

During some missions (specifically including the cleaner headquarters mission), weapons left behind (because they are dropped or traded) are not recovered for re-use.  The base inventory is simply out a handful of laser rifles and shotguns, with their corresponding soldiers holding the remaining ammo clips but not the weapons themselves.

So I just tested this and it seemed to work OK - I dropped a couple of laser sniper rifles on the floor and the game gave me them back after winning. If you've got a save I'll happily take a look at them.

Are you sure they didn't get blown up by explosives while on the ground?