Crashes

21 minutes ago, SoulFilcher said:

The game crashes often, during enemy turn, while saving at the end of the turn, sometimes while loading from within a mission. It makes me feel it is an open beta, a "very early" access game.

Some of the crashes also crashed Steam.

CrashReports.zip 117.66 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the report. Are any of the crashes reproducible? Like if you are having a crash during the alien turn, do you have a save from the end of the turn where it will always crash? If so then I'm sure we can fix it fairly easily.

If not, perhaps you could switch onto the "debug" beta branch (I can tell you how to access that if you need) and play for a bit on that, then post up here when you get a crash with the logs and saves? That would probably give us what we need to fix those issues quickly.

If it's crashing very often in a lot of different circumstances, then it might be related to the computer running low on resources (probably memory?).

I had a similar experience when I first started playing: very frequent crashes, basically at random. (Geoscape, mission load, during a mission, end-of-opening-cutscene...)

I'd been running it with other programs open in the background, though (key offender being a browser with a bunch of tabs open), and once I started running X2 without the extra load it's been perfectly stable. Not sure if @SoulFilcher is having the same issue, but it sounds similar - including the 'some of them also crashed Steam' bit.

@Chris would debug branch logs from a (suspected) system-overload crash be useful to you? Pretty sure I'll be able to make it happen again fairly easily, so I can upload some when I get home tonight if it'll help.

Edited by Skyfire

6 hours ago, Skyfire said:

If it's crashing very often in a lot of different circumstances, then it might be related to the computer running low on resources (probably memory?).

I had a similar experience when I first started playing: very frequent crashes, basically at random. (Geoscape, mission load, during a mission, end-of-opening-cutscene...)

I'd been running it with other programs open in the background, though (key offender being a browser with a bunch of tabs open), and once I started running X2 without the extra load it's been perfectly stable. Not sure if @SoulFilcher is having the same issue, but it sounds similar - including the 'some of them also crashed Steam' bit.

@Chris would debug branch logs from a (suspected) system-overload crash be useful to you? Pretty sure I'll be able to make it happen again fairly easily, so I can upload some when I get home tonight if it'll help.

Hey - thanks for the message. I'll have a chat to the programmers this morning and see what they think, but my suspicion is if you know the cause of the crash already then the logs won't tell us anything new.

It just becomes a discussion about how we deal with it (assuming we actually can do anything about it).

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I'll have a chat to the programmers this morning and see what they think, but my suspicion is if you know the cause of the crash already then the logs won't tell us anything new.

What I know with certainty is that it was very unstable, I restarted my PC and ran Xenonauts without the background load, and since then it has been stable.

I strongly suspect that A) it was hitting the page-file at first and now isn't, and B) that that's what made the difference, but those are educated guesses rather than hard proof.

So far I can say they are not completely random, most crashes I had happened during enemy turn when I did not have vision of the enemy when it crashed. A few other when loading a mission save from within a mission, and only one when the game was auto-saving at the end of the turn. Most of them were not reproducible but a few saves seem to be corrupted now and crash when I try to load them. I could send those if needed.