[v8.2 training question]

You don't really have to in Apoc. Its a passive system, just assign them and they train whenever they're not on a mission (apparently they don't sleep). The changes are incredibly gradual though, but I think they aren't subject to diminishing returns either, so on very long term (something like half the average game length long-term) there is a noticeable difference.

Its funny too. Seeing a Popper run wildly at you through a cloud of stun gas, then drop just before it reaches the edge of the cloud.

Then you've just got to kill the damn thing before it wakes up without making it explode and wrecking all the loot (or taking down half the building, but that's a minor concern.)

I just station someone with a stun rod next to it and poke it a few times every turn whether they need it or not. After you catch your first live one you don't need to worry about catching any more of them. I hate when one blows in a crowded UFO entrance hall starting cascading secondary explosions from other aliens and the equipment they carry. The loss of stuff that could be researched or sold is sad.