Version 17 Alien base bug

Hi i have only played twice so far.both times i have chosen Europe as my start postion. I splash a small ufo and proceed to kill crew (so far so good). My next event after this (both times i have played) is a discovery of an alien base in Africa. I dont know if this is meant to be a design choice but i know in the original it took some time before you discovered the alien bases.

Anyways both times i have deployed in the Alien base and at the start of my turn my soliders fail to see anything its like they are standing on a platform in space. If i move them small bits of terrain are revealed.

:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

v 17.1.

I know there's an alien base around: money's draining away. I know whichever ship it is that builds these has been around and in one old game I did find the base. But the game's been crashing a lot today so I guess that game was one of the deleted ones.

Thing is, the base has disappeared, can't be found (by agents, radar, sending out planes to patrol) and yet my cashflow is getting ever worse. I've fast-forwarded a month and apart from probably owing the IMF a few billion, I'm no closer to being able to rectify the invisible base problem. Funny thing is, the base was initially discovered in October and yet (perhaps because I was in credit that month and not watching) it didn't show up until November.

Any thoughts? Not sure if it's a bug, so put here as I would have thought the base would show up once discovered until it had been removed or would be discoverable.