How do you play a ground mission?

Qiox

I have yet to get to play a ground mission in the builds released so far. Is there something special you have to do? No aliens ships are ever spotted on the ground. No matter how long I follow one in the air (until my fuel requires me to return to base) they never land. When I intercept there's only 2 outcomes:

1) I destroy the ship outright.

2) The intercept screen appears overlaid on top of the world map and about 10 seconds later the game crashes.

So how do you actually test the ground combat?

You have to shoot it down over land, there's a chance the ship will be destroyed outright also (which sounds like what is happening to you).

So I think it's also a bit of luck, I'm not sure if using the auto cannon means the ship is less likely to be destroyed or not as opposed to blowing it into a billion pieces with missiles.

The quickest way to get in on some ground level action is to start the game in Debug Mode. Establish your starting base, set the Geoscape clock speed to its maximum value, and you'll be battling real live Caesans in a heartbeat.

Edited by iamkyon

They can be destroyed outright? I've never had that happen.

I just intercept with 2 F-17's, tail till over land if required, shoot it down with missiles (mostly) then attack the crash-site icon.

It always says that the UFO is destroyed doesn't it?

But yeah, what Kyon said will work too. It'll throw you into a ground combat every game hour.

Yes always destroyed. The 1st shot from my interceptors (I send 2 f-17's also) destroys the UFO. It's always medium size. And I've always started the game on default difficulty. Would trying a harder one make it more likely they will crash instead?

And ya, I know about the over land thing. That's not an issue.

Thanks for the debug suggestion. I'll give that a go and finally see what the ground combat looks like.