Ugh, how do I get back to Experimental Build 25-3 now?

When 25-4 and 25-4b came out, I could use the 'play previous experimental build' and still keep my current game (up around 220+ days) going.  I was finally determined to see the game through to its conclusion with this run instead of starting over the the 20-somethingith time.  But now that 25-5 is out, backtracing only brings me to 25-4 now .... is this a matter of hand typing the version I want in the Advanced Users section of the Steam Library Property Files on the game?  If so, what do I need to do to revive the 25-3 version, please?

2 hours ago, Wyldefyre_CP said:

When 25-4 and 25-4b came out, I could use the 'play previous experimental build' and still keep my current game (up around 220+ days) going.  I was finally determined to see the game through to its conclusion with this run instead of starting over the the 20-somethingith time.  But now that 25-5 is out, backtracing only brings me to 25-4 now .... is this a matter of hand typing the version I want in the Advanced Users section of the Steam Library Property Files on the game?  If so, what do I need to do to revive the 25-3 version, please?

There's not a straightforward way on Steam (GOG lets you roll back). You should think of the legacy builds as temporary; giving you a few days to finish up the previous campaign - or better still just copy the entire game directory elsewhere, so you'll always have a copy of that version locally.

For now, enter the branch password "oldlegacybuild" on Steam and it'll unlock a new branch that has v25.3 on it, but in future best not to expect experimental builds to hang around too long.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 3:52 AM, Chris said:

There's not a straightforward way on Steam (GOG lets you roll back). You should think of the legacy builds as temporary; giving you a few days to finish up the previous campaign - or better still just copy the entire game directory elsewhere, so you'll always have a copy of that version locally.

I feel a bit silly for asking this, but will making a copy of the game directory elsewhere to keep an old build running work?  It seems like I can't unplug from getting updated experimental builds without Steam trying to convert me to a stable build ... either I run the stable build in a relatively peaceful vacuum or I stay at the cutting edge of change with frequent updates in the experimental zone.  Maybe I could try running the copy in offline mode ...  

EDIT:  Never Mind any of that ... I'm now getting multiple crashes on the first crashed battleship mission, any time I try to approach it, either from the front or from the side, so it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to advance to the end game from here ... too bad, I was looking forward to checking out the new battleship interior.  Maybe I should take a break for a bit.

Edited by Wyldefyre_CP

On 1/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, Wyldefyre_CP said:

I feel a bit silly for asking this, but will making a copy of the game directory elsewhere to keep an old build running work?  It seems like I can't unplug from getting updated experimental builds without Steam trying to convert me to a stable build ... either I run the stable build in a relatively peaceful vacuum or I stay at the cutting edge of change with frequent updates in the experimental zone.  Maybe I could try running the copy in offline mode ...  

EDIT:  Never Mind any of that ... I'm now getting multiple crashes on the first crashed battleship mission, any time I try to approach it, either from the front or from the side, so it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to advance to the end game from here ... too bad, I was looking forward to checking out the new battleship interior.  Maybe I should take a break for a bit.

Yeah, if you copy the game files elsewhere then they'll continue to function without getting updated. Obviously the downside is what you're encountering now - that older versions of the game are generally more broken than the newer ones.

It's less of a problem for actual owners of the game as we have Stable branches which only contain the final version of each build. V25 will end up there fairly soon, I'd have thought.