[v25.4b - General] Load dialog crash to desktop

Melee

• Description:  Crash to desktop clicking save game in load dialog.
  • What Happened:  Had restarted game because game's ever climbing memory usage forced page file usage. Clicked 'Load Game' at 'Main Menu' and then clicked most recent save game.
  • Further information:  Log and save I was trying to load attached.  Error occurs in log at "2023-01-15 22:48:14,906 [ERROR]".  Second load attempt successful.

output.log

auto_groundcombat_turn_134_start-479.json

Edited by Melee

On 1/16/2023 at 4:01 AM, Melee said:
  • What Happened:  Had restarted game because game's ever climbing memory usage forced page file usage. Clicked 'Load Game' at 'Main Menu' and then clicked most recent save game.
  • Further information:  Log and save I was trying to load attached.  Error occurs in log at "2023-01-15 22:48:14,906 [ERROR]".  Second load attempt successful.

output.log 4.64 MB · 0 downloads

auto_groundcombat_turn_134_start-479.json 1.57 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks. I'll have a chat to the coders about it.

I think you should try deleting all your old unused save games if you haven't already, though - this might possibly be tied to there being so many saves retained by the previous versions of V24.

There are no previous version saves. I deleted 25.2 saves and moved the 25.3 saves to a different folder before starting 25.4/b campaign thinking I was going to try the legacy version in Steam but later deleted them. The game's save folder for 25.4/b campaign currently has 65 manual saves and 523 autosaves.  I'll reduce the saves, but the game should be able to handle the number of saves it auto creates.  It might be dependent on how fast the save is clicked. I've been waiting a few seconds before clicking and crashing less.

Edited by Melee

4 hours ago, Melee said:

There are no previous version saves. I deleted 25.2 saves and moved the 25.3 saves to a different folder before starting 25.4/b campaign thinking I was going to try the legacy version in Steam but later deleted them. The game's save folder for 25.4/b campaign currently has 65 manual saves and 523 autosaves.  I'll reduce the saves, but the game should be able to handle the number of saves it auto creates.  It might be dependent on how fast the save is clicked. I've been waiting a few seconds before clicking and crashing less.

Sorry, yeah, I meant v25 when I said v24 in the previous post.

The thing that might be causing some instability is the code differences between the different versions of v25, and we only enabled the generation of that many saves to help find a bug we've now fixed. So it's very unlikely anyone will have 600 saves in the final game.

However, if there is a crash caused by the number of saves being loaded then we should certainly fix that. So before you clear your save directory, maybe first try duplicating all the files 3-4 times into new folders? If it's caused by how fast the save is clicked, I guess it would be more obvious with a lot more saves to load?

If you can reliably generate the crash then I'm sure we'll be able to figure out the issue and fix it.

On 1/16/2023 at 4:01 AM, Melee said:

output.log 4.64 MB · 2 downloads

auto_groundcombat_turn_134_start-479.json 1.57 MB · 1 download

Random question - we're looking into this crash, and the text string "EversARon" appears somewhere it should not, which causes the crash. Does it mean anything to you? Do you use it as a username anywhere, or a save game name, etc?

7 hours ago, Chris said:

...text string "EversARon" appears somewhere .... Does it mean anything to you?

No, no clue.  I searched all my limited current v25.5 saves and it doesn't appear anywhere in the saves which would make it happen all the time loading the save I would think, which it didn't.  I also searched the local file system with no hits.  Would it be part of a soldier's name or the end of one and the start of another.  Almost spanish for 'reversed'.  Is it part of a function name? Would a corrupt pointer cause it?  I'll keep an eye out for the string.

Edit: Also searched my AbstractSpoon ToDoList application and project file that is open while I'm playing to take notes without a hit.  The only other thing running is windows driver interfaces and Task Manager so I can see the memory usage.

Edited by Melee

On 1/18/2023 at 6:46 PM, Melee said:

No, no clue.  I searched all my limited current v25.5 saves and it doesn't appear anywhere in the saves which would make it happen all the time loading the save I would think, which it didn't.  I also searched the local file system with no hits.  Would it be part of a soldier's name or the end of one and the start of another.  Almost spanish for 'reversed'.  Is it part of a function name? Would a corrupt pointer cause it?  I'll keep an eye out for the string.

Edit: Also searched my AbstractSpoon ToDoList application and project file that is open while I'm playing to take notes without a hit.  The only other thing running is windows driver interfaces and Task Manager so I can see the memory usage.

Thanks. Turns out it was just an entirely random thing; we've managed to find and fix the bug now.