[v25.3 - Ground Combat] Unable to use stun gun on reaper

asdfcyber

The game does not let me fire a stun gun at a reaper. Is that on purpose? I couldn't find anything about it on this forum and it seems strange to not allow this, so I think it's a bug but I'm not sure. If they are immune to stun damage I'd assume the game would just show 0 stun damage.

image.thumb.png.00fbc0a70e113c9d65cf366733821c08.png

Reapers also cannot be suppressed with flashbangs, but that might be a bit more intentional (it would be nice if it said something like 'resist' instead of leaving the player to wonder what happened).

Edit: this might be a stun gun bug instead of a reaper bug, because I can't fire it at the mentarch either (and other test subjects were not available)

quick-84.json

Edited by asdfcyber

On 12/29/2022 at 5:36 PM, asdfcyber said:

The game does not let me fire a stun gun at a reaper. Is that on purpose? I couldn't find anything about it on this forum and it seems strange to not allow this, so I think it's a bug but I'm not sure. If they are immune to stun damage I'd assume the game would just show 0 stun damage.

image.thumb.png.00fbc0a70e113c9d65cf366733821c08.png

Reapers also cannot be suppressed with flashbangs, but that might be a bit more intentional (it would be nice if it said something like 'resist' instead of leaving the player to wonder what happened).

Edit: this might be a stun gun bug instead of a reaper bug, because I can't fire it at the mentarch either (and other test subjects were not available)

quick-84.json 1.92 MB · 0 downloads

Yeah, this is a weird one. When the targeting reticule doesn't appear it usually means that the weapon is loaded with invalid ammo, and that's what's happening in this save game. But what is really strange is that if you go to the Inventory screen and RMB click to unload the Stun Gun, then drag the clip back into the weapon from the backpack - suddenly the Stun Gun starts working fine.

That's super weird because it implies the ammo clip is OK (usually you can't reload the clip into the weapon because they're incompatible). So I'm actually not sure how this could have happened. If you've got the previous saves then it'd be interesting to get the save from before the mission started. You didn't do anything unusual like doing two missions in a row before returning to base, did you?

On 12/30/2022 at 10:30 PM, Ruggerman said:

You can make it and you can equip it to a trooper, but when you aim it on a target, you don't get the aiming reticule, so you no it want work!!

The stun gun should work fine in recent versions.

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

RMB click to unload the Stun Gun

Hang on, that's a feature?!

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

If you've got the previous saves then it'd be interesting to get the save from before the mission started. You didn't do anything unusual like doing two missions in a row before returning to base, did you?

I don't think I did there, but I have done that recently so I'm not sure. The saves below are from the same mission if I'm correct, one is from the start of the turn, one from the start of combat and one before combat.

auto_groundcombat_turn_11_start-265.json auto_strategy_before_combat-63.json auto_groundcombat_turn_1_end-240.json

Edited by asdfcyber
"the saves are from the same save" - me

18 hours ago, asdfcyber said:

Hang on, that's a feature?!

I don't think I did there, but I have done that recently so I'm not sure. The saves below are from the same mission if I'm correct, one is from the start of the turn, one from the start of combat and one before combat.

auto_groundcombat_turn_11_start-265.json 1.92 MB · 0 downloads auto_strategy_before_combat-63.json 597.37 kB · 0 downloads auto_groundcombat_turn_1_end-240.json 1.91 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks. This is very strange. I thought it was to do with the fact you brought it into the battle in a backpack but I built another Stun Gun and put that in a backpack in the same save and that one worked fine.

We'll take a look but it's not really clear what's going on. I'm wondering if this is actually an example of that missing component bug I linked you to previously; I can't think of any other reason why this one ammo clip might have got broken. So make sure you don't delete the saves from this particular campaign! :)

EDIT - yeah, for some reason that Stun Gun has lost the component that says its loaded. Can you send over all the saves from that particular campaign please? (Silver Envoy)

1 hour ago, asdfcyber said:

Nope, there's no way to get notified by edits sadly. I've wetransferred you all the saves

Much appreciated. This might be what we need to identify the bug; I've found a reproducible way to generate the issue (it seems like the Stun Gun is broken from the moment it is equipped). But we'll have to see if the strategy item is somehow corrupted already ... but with all these files we can hopefully pinpoint when it went wrong. Let's hope so!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, asdfcyber said:

Nope, there's no way to get notified by edits sadly. I've wetransferred you all the saves

Sadly, it turned out to be a false alarm. This particular bug is simpler - any weapon brought into a tactical mission in the backpack will have a broken ammo link that makes the game think it is unloaded. We'll get it fixed, but we'll still need to keep an eye out for that corruption bug in the future!

I was carrying the stun gun in my back pack, and as Chris has stated in another question, it could have something to do with the program thinking that the gun is unloaded, if that is the case I will try it again with the stun gun in hand at the start of the ground battle?? 

57 minutes ago, Ruggerman said:

I was carrying the stun gun in my back pack, and as Chris has stated in another question, it could have something to do with the program thinking that the gun is unloaded, if that is the case I will try it again with the stun gun in hand at the start of the ground battle?? 

Yeah. If you bring the stun gun into battle in the secondary slot of your soldier then it should work absolutely fine.