[v25.1b - General] Manual save overwrites previous manual save but has different filename

asdfcyber

The game didn't used to ask this, but when creating a new manual save it asks to overwrite the 'current save file' (which I'm assuming means the one listed at the top). Selecting 'yes' deletes the previous file and creates a new one with a different name. In my case, 'user_day_45_crash_site_manual_save-7.json' was deleted and a new save called 'user_day_45_crash_site_manual_save-8.json' was created. Because these are different names, it doesn't make sense to me that the older one should get deleted/overwritten.

image.thumb.png.fd6105af1bfc2ef13ef75f0960f18019.png

Also, the 'save game' button has the tooltip for 'load game'.

output.log

Edited by asdfcyber

2 hours ago, asdfcyber said:

The game didn't used to ask this, but when creating a new manual save it asks to overwrite the 'current save file' (which I'm assuming means the one listed at the top). Selecting 'yes' deletes the previous file and creates a new one with a different name. In my case, 'user_day_45_crash_site_manual_save-7.json' was deleted and a new save called 'user_day_45_crash_site_manual_save-8.json' was created. Because these are different names, it doesn't make sense to me that the older one should get deleted/overwritten.

image.thumb.png.fd6105af1bfc2ef13ef75f0960f18019.png

Also, the 'save game' button has the tooltip for 'load game'.

output.log 6.92 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks. I suspect it's colliding on the in-game name, which is "Day 45: Crash Site Manual Save" and if you make any change to that name then it won't overwrite. I guess the behaviour is a little silly at the moment but I'd class this as a relatively unimportant fix, given the issue is easy to avoid. The save game naming is not something I want to reopen right now; it's deceptively complex to get something that works well.

I'll get the tooltip fixed up though.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I'd class this as a relatively unimportant fix, given the issue is easy to avoid

I agree, but can't the method that generates the actual filename be reused to generate the input field text / default save name relatively easily? The behaviour of the actual save system does not necessarily have to change I think, the UI just needs to reflect what is actually happening. I can't find said method quickly in the code though.

4 hours ago, asdfcyber said:

I agree, but can't the method that generates the actual filename be reused to generate the input field text / default save name relatively easily? The behaviour of the actual save system does not necessarily have to change I think, the UI just needs to reflect what is actually happening. I can't find said method quickly in the code though.

No, there's several reasons why the file name and the actual save name are detatched from one another. I won't go into too much detail but it's things like cross compatibility on different OSes, support for different languages and special characters not permitted in file names etc.

We could probably just do checking based on the filename rather than in-game name, but then people might not understand why a particular save was going to overwrite another one because two visually different names can end up collapsing down into the same file name once you take into account things like capitalisation and spaces vs underscores etc. Not a can of worms I want to reopen.