Don't you know there is a war going on?

Edmon

I think the ideas are generally good, which was why I was a bigger fan of the XCom Apocalypse than any of the other games, since the effects of what you did got you enemies in the city, that attacked you. And there was the cult that supported the aliens and so on. These enemies tried to support the ufos when they came, so always an unkown to keep you on your feet.

These types of games have huge potentials, but unfortunately games become easier and easier these days. HOI is a good example.

Have huge hopes for this game, like the first one, since it mimic the originals, hope this sequel doesn't end in a confusing mix of Fallout Shelter and other games, that is not Xcom. Properly just me, but got a little worried when I saw the base first time here. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/16/2019 at 12:15 AM, Edmon said:

I guess my secondary issue, after the one of the balance curve, is just how indisposable everything is. Leading to the death spiral if you lose a few items or a team.

Soldiers should be cheap as chips, every weapon being so precious just reduces the tolerence for failure. There is little room for experimentation.

This is where the NPC presence can be kind of clever... if you were arming the forces of earth, what does it matter if you produce 100 laser rifles and you lose 8 of them to a wipe?

But it is of course, less units to dish out to the rest of humanity to fight back with.

I see the Xenonaughts as a sort of glorified research division with a tactical element. In the other games, of course, they do everything and win the day. But I am thinking, instead the game is mostly similar, but you are arming humanity for the fight so they can hold their ground and/or win the day.

Goals can be set for arms and research to be provided per month, with the war eventually being won or lost based on the player taking bigger risks to acquire more samples, goodies, etc.

It needs a lot of work to turn into a usable element, but I think it solves a lot of the early game issues, while also allowing you to make the game harder at the end...

Just more thoughts...

I really like your reasoning. They are very promising for increasing tension (escalating conflict) during the game. In fact, the most acute stages of the conflict (at the moment) are present only at the beginning of the game and gradually (over time) fade away.

I will think about your ideas and express my thoughts a little later.