[V1.2 - Ground Combat] CTD by Xenonaut death (most likely inventory related)

wulf 21

Game crashed right after death of a xenonaut. Maybe this crash can even be consistently reproduced, as it happened after trying something out for the first time.

1. One soldier carried a shotgun and 2 regular magazines + 2 shock ammo magazines into battle (you can look up the loadout in the quicksabe file I made before starting the ground engagement)
  2. During my turn, I first loaded shock ammo by dragging it into the hidden inventory slot in the shotgun, then moved directly next to an alien (I was on the tile diagonally to the upper left of the alien)
  3. I shot the alien and missed 2 times, however the alien was suppressed as the result
  4. during alien turn, alien turned around and killed the Xenonaut I did above steps with

What I am no longer sure about is if the Xenonaut that died was selected when I ended my turn. Logfile looks sure like crash is inside the inventory system code:

2018-12-09 21:11:42,251 [FATAL] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\XenonautsMain.cs:513) 
[INITIAL CRASH]
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Xenonauts.UI.PlayerControlElement.ValidQuickItemsFromBelt (Artitas.Entity actor) [0x00007] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\UI\Elements\PlayerControlElement.cs:576 
  at Xenonauts.UI.PlayerControlElement.ReorderAndSelectQuickItem (Artitas.Entity actor) [0x0003a] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\UI\Elements\PlayerControlElement.cs:549 
  at Xenonauts.UI.PlayerControlElement.<OnCreate>m__14 (Artitas.Entity e) [0x0000f] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\UI\Elements\PlayerControlElement.cs:275 
  at Artitas.Family+<ComponentUpdate>c__AnonStorey8`1[Xenonauts.Common.Components.Item.InventoryLink].<>m__0 (Artitas.Family family, Artitas.Entity entity, Int32 cID, IComponent rem, IComponent add) [0x00014] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Libraries\Artitas\Artitas.Core\Code\Family.cs:593 
  at Artitas.Family.RemoveEntity (Int32 entityID, Int32 componentID, IComponent previous, IComponent next) [0x0006f] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Libraries\Artitas\Artitas.Core\Code\Family.cs:510 
  at Artitas.Family.UpdateEntity (Int32 entityID, Int32 componentID, IComponent previous, IComponent next) [0x00050] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Libraries\Artitas\Artitas.Core\Code\Family.cs:491 

Attached die_ctd.zip (output.log, recording_1.rec (has right timestamp)), die_ctd_quick_save.zip

Looks like it's reproducable: Just load the savefile, fast forward to ground engagement, execute steps 1 and 2 with PVT ZHOU (no need to shoot the alien), run up to an alien and let ZHOU be killed. She needs to be selected to make the crash happen (so killing her with another Xenonaut is not an option). Death does not need to be during alien turn, reaction fire has same effect.

Edited by wulf 21

Still happens in V1.3

Just a note on reproduction, it looks like it will crash even if multiple turns pass between loading the shock ammo and the death of the Xenonaut, so you can just execute steps 1 and 2 with ZHOU and then run around the map with her until finally finding an alien then kills her while selected.