Xenonauts-2 November Update

Chris

With the Christmas period only six weeks away, I thought I'd take a moment to tell everyone what exactly we're working on at the moment. The short version of it could be summed up as: we're connecting everything together, and things now work ... but are also clearly broken.

What? Things work... but they're also broken?
Let's start by talking about exactly what "connecting up" is - essentially it means we're now joining up all the information on the strategy layer and the ground combat layer. On the strategy layer you can hire your unique soldiers and put them to work in the base or send them out on missions, and if you send them out on a mission then we need to create a battlefield map with all the parameters sent from the strategy layer. That includes the type of mission (UFO crash site, VIP rescue, etc), the type of biome and sub-biome  (arid wilderness, temperate farm, desert military base etc), the number of Xenonauts involved and their stats and equipment, the number and type of aliens, etc.

The good news is that this all now works in the sense that data is correctly passed from the strategy layer to the ground combat, then results are passed back up to the strategy layer again once the mission is complete. However, making the gameplay correctly reflect all this information is an ongoing process that be going on for a long time. We're making a lot of progress fixing up the obvious issues, but whilst the code is indeed working the gameplay just isn't there yet.

Anyone who played Xenonauts 1 more than six months before it was released will know very well what we mean when we say that!

Can you give a bit more detail on where exactly you are and why this is so hard?
The key issue here is the the missions in Xenonauts require a long list of design work, art assets and code in order to play like a game should play, and if any one is missing then the whole thing looks totally broken.

I'll take the example of us implementing the VIP rescue mission which we put in the game a few weeks ago, because that both clearly works but is also obviously broken. These are the (simplified) steps required to get it working:

• Have a functioning Geoscape where missions can spawn
  • Have the ability to hire and equip soldiers on the strategy layer
  • Write the spawn logic on the strategy layer for when the opportunity for a VIP Rescue mission appears on the Geoscape
  • Write the intended alien units that you should be fighting on the mission (these should change and get harder as the game goes on)
  • Write code that defines the victory / loss conditions for this specific type of mission and implements anything new (e.g. you fail if the VIP is killed, you win if the VIP is evacuated even if everyone else dies)
  • Have a level editor that can create a level for the game
  • Implement VIP spawn regions and evac regions in the level editor and ground combat code
  • Have a tileset with enough models that levels can look good
  • Create a level for the mission with the appropriate layout, meta regions and visual attractiveness
  • Create art assets for all the required aliens
  • Create art assets for the VIP
  • Set up combat stats / equipment for all these aliens
  • Set up combat stats / equipment for the VIP
  • Make sure this equipment also has the required stats and art assets
  • Ensure you have the appropriate variety of maps to cater for all the different places this mission can occur
  • Write the code that pulls this together and loads the appropriate map, mission type, aliens, equipment and Xenonauts when you fire up the mission
  • Ensure the aliens have the correct AI behaviors to deal with the mission objectives (e.g. they will aggressively attack you and try and kill the VIP)
  • Pass the results information back to the strategy layer and ensure the strategy layer acts on it (killing your dead soldiers, crediting you with a new unit if you rescued the VIP, etc)

Something that sounds relatively simple - "adding VIP rescue missions" - therefore actually requires a huge amount of work across many different areas of the project if you want it to have an acceptable level of gameplay. And even when you've done all this, there's still plenty more to do ... for instance, the VIP currently doesn't get a little quick-selection minitab in the UI when you get control of him, and he doesn't start sharing his vision cone with your team until you select him for the first time. Those are pretty major bugs that clearly need to be fixed.

And even when you've got the obvious bugs fixed, all you've done is created a mission that the player can play. Then the long and difficult process of balancing starts. Is the VIP too close to the spawn area, or too far away? Are the enemies too tough for this stage of the game? Is the map too open, making the VIP too hard to protect against alien snipers? Are shotguns too good? Does that alien have too much HP bloat?

I'm sure you get the picture. The point of this update is to illustrate that the "fun" part of game development that everyone wants to help out with is the balancing and polishing stage, which happens right at the end of development. That's when you get to look at the game and say "hey, I've got this one great idea that'll make it much better!" and I find myself writing 1000-word forum posts about tiny details like why ballistic rifles need to have slightly higher armour penetration than they already do.

I love that part of game development and we're getting steadily closer to it. We've nearly finished the box that sits around the game that we all want to play, and soon we'll be properly working on the game itself. The level editor and level creation process in general has sucked away a lot of this time, but we've now got pretty much all the functionality we had in the X1 level editor and therefore should be able to produce missions with the same complexity as the first game. Then we'll start pushing beyond it.

We've got a few more things to fix up before we can put anything out, but what I'm currently planning for is to re-introduce the ground combat builds in the near future with the new ground mission types in them (currently we're working on UFO Crash Site, Alien Base Attack, Capture Supplies, VIP Rescue, VIP Elimination, Xenonaut Base Defence and they're all mostly working). Hopefully that gives a bit more insight into what we're doing right now, and why we've been quiet - although you'll get to see it for yourself soon enough!

• Like 4

I love these updates, and I'd love to read those "1000 words forum posts about a balancing detail", especially with some notoriously hard to balance aspects like the stealth function you wanted to implement.

not only to go at them with a comment sledgehammer, but also because that kind of posts shows us what exactly you envision with such mechanics, or with certain tools/aspects of the game

I probably missed it in other posts, sorry if it was answered somewhere else. When you write:

• Have a level editor that can create a level for the game

Does this mean the editor will compose the level out of modules and create a quasi randomized map consisting of premade parts like in original xcom, or will it be just the spawn/ evac areas? Would be awesome, just saying :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...